Speed Limit Mode - Make It More Obvious..!

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Kilamite

Speed Limit Mode - Make It More Obvious..!

Post by Kilamite »

I love Transmission - I'm really appreciative of your guys efforts and I don't know where my torrents would be without it.

However, today, I accidently enabled Speed Limit mode (the key combo - my menu bar showed Safari yet OS X was still in Transmission..) so I pressed CMD+L to go to the Safari address bar, nothing happened. Clicked on it manually thinking nothing less of it, then a couple of minutes later, noticed my Torrents were stuck at 10kb/s and not doing anything!

I instantly assumed something was up with my internet - Virgin Media probably capping me. I do a Speed Test online, find I am actually being capped (though to 2MB/s down from 10MB/s) and began tinkering with OS X and my Airport Settings! During this, I did half notice my web browsing was really sluggish. I reset my router and modem, and no luck!

Finally, I noticed the wee blue icon showing that I had enabled Speed Limit mode was on, so unchecked it and we were rocketing away again! I guess the reason my web browsing was sluggish when Speed Limiter was on was because it had a higher upload rate (10KB/s up). When Virgin throttles me, my max upload is 5KB/s so it was no wonder my web browsing was sluggish!

Thought I'd share my slap on the face story with you guys! Though it would be nice if it was more obvious when Speed Limit mode was enabled, such as making the Transmission icon change colour or the actual transfer window to go from blue to a red?
baluba

Re: Speed Limit Mode - Make It More Obvious..!

Post by baluba »

I registered here to suggest the same thing. The date of the original post makes me a little disheartened though.

I turned the speed limit (and schedule) on when I was using someone else's internet, and then completely forgot about it after a few weeks. When I got back home I started troubleshooting my router, wifi channel, ports...the usual stuff.

It'd be great if speed limit mode was made more prominent, like a turtle icon overlay in the dock, or in the individual torrents' rows.
clevernoggin

Post by clevernoggin »

Well since the previous post was 6 years ago, and the original one 6 years before that...

...just wanted to chime in with this same thing, since I had the same problem and this thread was the top Google result.

I've been mystified for several days why my torrents are glacially slow... was about to call my ISP to figure out if I was being throttled or something... then for some reason just noticed the tiny turtle icon at the bottom was blue. Clicked it, and full speed is back. Almost certainly I turned it on with Cmd+L thinking my window focus was in Chrome. I didn't even know this was a feature.

PLEASE, make it more obvious! One idea would be simply next to the download speed at the top-right corner of the window, put a message like "SPEED LIMIT ON" or "SPEED LIMITED" or "LIMIT ENABLED" or something?

Also, I'd recommend removing the keyboard shortcut. It hardly seems like a feature that needs to be toggled so often it needs a shortcut, and the fact that it's the same shortcut as one of the most common shortcuts in web browsers, and so super-easy to trigger when you're mistaken about which window has the focus... it's just a mistake waiting to happen.

Thanks!!
clevernoggin

Post by clevernoggin »

I'll add myself to this as well -- totally mystified why a popular torrent was barely downloading at all, until I finally noticed the subtly blue turtle icon. (Note that the *contrast* of the blue is virtually identical to the turned-off gray, so it's *extremely* difficult to notice.) Clicked on it, Googled it to see if anyone else had been similarly mystified, and this thread was the top result on Google.

It's twelve and a half years later... but Cmd+L is still a shortcut, and it's also easy to accidentally click the turtle icon by accident and not realize you did. :( Maybe someday??
clevernoggin

Post by clevernoggin »

And oh crap, I just realized that was *my own* previous post from 2 years ago. So I've made this accidental mistake twice! Derp.
darmok

Post by darmok »

Ok. So we need to fix the contrast issue. How much bigger does the icon need to be?
Zaxonov

Post by Zaxonov »

He's an illustration of what OP suggested to attract attention to the Turtle icon. It could be colored in yellow, orange or red when the Speed Limit Mode is on.
turtle_yellow.png
turtle_yellow.png (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
turtle_orange.png
turtle_orange.png (24.36 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
turtle_red.png
turtle_red.png (24.27 KiB) Viewed 1366 times