Newbie fear about large data uploads not authorized

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
Wadsworth-Longfellow

Newbie fear about large data uploads not authorized

Post by Wadsworth-Longfellow »

Appreciate having an easy-to-use means of downloading large files with Transmission. But I can’t find any info herein about a data transfer notation in the program’s window.

ISSUE: I keep seeing certain download sessions indicate a large upload (see bottom-right of screen snip). This is the second time I’ve noticed this as it happens about ¼ of the time.

What are these uploads, and how do I view them to confirm they’re safe? Sorry to overly worry about this, but it’s just so concerning to see 18+ Gb and 4+ Gb uploads which I had nothing to do with (I think). Thank you in advance for easing my fears.

System: 6 year old HP desktop w/ Win-10/64.
Transmission: version 4.0.3 (6b0e49bbbb2)
Browser: Chrome 114.0.5735.110.

PS, can't attached my screen snip as error message states: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." That's confusing, but then I'm easily confused.

FOLLOW-UP -- Just to ensure viewers of this thread…
Yes, I’m a newbie, but maybe I do know some of the torrent basics. I typically download large public domain files from IA (archive.org). I’ve been a member there since almost the beginning, mostly posting old sales catalogs from manufacturers in my area, such as for engines, etc. I scan, edit and post these documents to share them with interested parties, and as a means of educating those who wish to learn more about the manufacturing history of my area. Freely sharing old documentation is important to me. Much time is spent to scan, edit and post old documents, and much money is spent buying them as well (some go for hundreds of dollars each).
Getting to the use of torrent, in order to download very-large files from IA you need to download huge zipped folders, and there are two issues with that. First, some are too big for the IA system, and IA doesn’t allow it, giving an error message about zipped file too big, yada yada.
Second, even if IA does allow downloading a giant zipped folder, the IA download are throttled (perhaps depending on the server farm being accessed?), e.g., it’s 100-200 kps at times. Thus, torrent is recommended on IA. Plus my wonky Spectrum/Charter WiFi just doesn’t allow such downloads, even late at night.
All the torrent downloads performed have been on IA files (and folders of files), and have been from IA seeds, as best can be told. It’s assumed that IA has set these seeds up for torrent downloads of IA files So, I assume what I’m doing (only downloading) isn’t against the basic principles of torrent. If I’m being self-centered or clueless here, please let me know. Well, I’m always clueless, so there’s that.
Also, this old desktop PC has no room to store large files once they’re been downloaded, so allowing torrent uploads isn’t something that can done even if the WiFi was reliable (don’t get me started on Spectrum).
All the downloads have to be transferred to external memory sticks or SSD’s, which can’t be left plugged in as this old HP desktop has few USB ports, and splitting them doesn’t work well. That is, splitters are already used, and plugging a splitter into another splitter seems like a bad idea. Think about the old days where people used those electrical outlet splitters in multiples, and burned down countless houses.
So, I guess I still don’t understand how uploading is happening when previous downloads are not on the hard drive as they’re renamed, and transferred off the PC quickly (due to lack of room).
Again, thanks in advance.
Wadsworth Longfellow
BTW, that’s my old “stage name” -- had to have one.