Megabits vs. Megabytes Download Speed

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
ybredybred

Megabits vs. Megabytes Download Speed

Post by ybredybred »

I was under the impression that MB/s in capital letters was megabytes per second and mbps in lowercase was megabits per second. When looking at the download and upload rates in Transmission which is it?

The reason why I'm asking is that I have a 150 megabits per second internet connection, but the most I've ever seen downloading in Transmission is about 2.0 MB. Is that megabits or megabytes? Either way, do you have any idea why it would be so low? I've got numerous torrents queued up and I would have expected that my internet bandwidth would be utilized to the max.

Thanks
darmok

Re: Megabits vs. Megabytes Download Speed

Post by darmok »

Transmission reports speed in KB/sec and MB/sec; those are bytes not bits.

"queued up" is perhaps most of the problem. If you're only running a few torrents, and their seeders don't have fat pipes, you won't see much throughput. Instead, open 'er up. Preferences > Transfers > Management, uncheck the queues. > Bandwidth, uncheck the download rate. Set the upload rate to be about 80% of your pipe's cap. > Peers, set around 256 max connections and 16 to 20 per.

fwiw, the generosity of the seeders is the real key here. I've usually got 250 to 300 torrents running, mostly seeding. During weekdays, it all trickles down to a handful of peers. In the evenings and weekends, I do 100 to 200 peers. My upstream runs around 18 Mbps (cap is 20 Mb). My downstream periodically pegs my 100 Mbps pipe.

If you're on a Mac, check out PeakHour in the App Store. Tis a nifty bandwidth graph that gives a great picture of what Transmission is doing. When idle my mac's screen has Transmission's main window, the Information window set to view peers, and PeakHour visible. In dark mode, it's fun...