Why why why won't Transmission seed?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mr ed209

Re: Why why why won't Transmission seed?

Post by mr ed209 »

I just tried one - did a complete uninstall of Transmission, every single file, then an installation of a nightly - the same one you mentioned actually. Picked out a few files with over a hundred peers and I'm connecting to about 2 or maybe 3 - occasionally. I've got a reasonably decent upload as UK standards go - I set it to cap at 64KB/s, but I just don't understand why I used to regularly upload waaay more with Azureus than I ever have with Transmission. Why am I connecting to so few peers when I seed?
TWLreal

Post by TWLreal »

I'll bump this thread instead of creating a new one. I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with Transmission 1.91 (10268). I'm connectable through and through, download speeds are as good as ever and will max out my connection with no issues. I know how to use BitTorrent as you can see in the screenshot of my ratio, while not amazing, shows I sort of do know how it works.

But I am having a similar issue as the original poster for seeding. Transmission simply will not seed data even on heavily populated torrents.

I was previously using Azureus 2.5.0.0 and have always seeded properly, switching to Transmission still lets me keep my download speeds but I simply cannot seed.

There are plenty of peers for me to connect, these are healthy torrents. But Transmission will sporadically display "Seeding to 0 of 0 peers" or elevate the numbers to 0 of 2-3 or 2 of 2 but not actually upload any data at all. I suspected it was simply a matter of time before it would upload but after over 48 hours, it managed to upload a few MB of data.

Importing the same torrents to Azureus connects me to peers in a few moments and start uploading.

Transmission preferences all make sense but I will post them if someone really requests them but I will be amazed that a simple checkbox or setting will completely prevent me from seeding.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-15 at 6.51.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-03-15 at 6.51.01 PM.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
npb

Post by npb »

i have exact same problem as above. has no-one solved this yet?! :(
jcphoenix

Post by jcphoenix »

I was another user having this problem (after switching from Vuze to Transmission 1.91) and I'm pretty sure it was either a Transmission problem or some kind of issue between Transmission and Snow Leopard. For example, I tried downloading three different torrents from three private trackers (what, tracker.example.com, PassthePopcorn) with uTorrent MAC and Transmission 1.91 - in all three cases, it stalled on Transmission but downloaded on uTorrent.

That said, I just downloaded Transmission 1.93 and it seems like this problem *might* be solved. I will report back if it conks out on me.
jcphoenix

Post by jcphoenix »

Just so people know - I've been using Transmission 1.93 for the past day and the issue seems to be fixed for me - everything is showing up as seeding and I'm able to download from the private torrent sites I'm a member of.