Make Transmission more aggressive for d/l

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
jch

Re: Make Transmission more aggressive for d/l

Post by jch »

x190 wrote:Can Transmission be coded to be more aggressive for downloading?
You'll see better if you stand up in a cinema, but that doesn't mean everyone will see better if they all stand up.

--jch
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

You will find the same if you pause and resume a torrent sometimes.. Seems like it locks on to peers and stops looking unless forced to sometimes.
killemov

Post by killemov »

lazybones wrote:You will find the same if you pause and resume a torrent sometimes.. Seems like it locks on to peers and stops looking unless forced to sometimes.
... which smells like a bug.
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

FYI I find pausing active torrents and then resuming almost always improves the performance of a torrent than is in progress and performing poorly.. I really think this needs to be looked into, it seems to be very consistent for me.

Maybe all that is needed is for transmission to evaluate torrents that are performing poorly (lots of seeds/peers but slow speed) and then re evaluate the available peers to try and find some faster ones.
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

Updated to 2.10 and am no longer seen significant gains by pausing, however I am also not seeing good speeds over all speeds, just consistent mediocre speeds....

I think I am going to download a 1.9x release in a VM, run it against the same torrent a few times then update to 2.10... Since updating to 2.10 I don't think I have hit my download speed cap even once, where I used to regularly max out the limit I had set in transmission for long periods of time... need to figure out if this is really transmission or something else.. Probably will run some tests against uTorrent as well.

300 to 400MB torrents used to download for me in about 30min and are now taking 1 to 4 hours.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

lazybones wrote:Updated to 2.10 and am no longer seen significant gains by pausing, however I am also not seeing good speeds over all speeds, just consistent mediocre speeds....

I think I am going to download a 1.9x release in a VM, run it against the same torrent a few times then update to 2.10... Since updating to 2.10 I don't think I have hit my download speed cap even once, where I used to regularly max out the limit I had set in transmission for long periods of time... need to figure out if this is really transmission or something else.. Probably will run some tests against uTorrent as well.

300 to 400MB torrents used to download for me in about 30min and are now taking 1 to 4 hours.
There were algorithmic changes that went into 2.10 that really made it much noticeably better in my usage of Transmission. Ticket #3600, that is probably going into 2.11 or 2.20, changes things a bit more for the better.