oh god, PLEASE make the filesize base change optional

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
hippy dave

oh god, PLEASE make the filesize base change optional

Post by hippy dave »

go on, even if it's a hidden .plist option. for such sexy skilful coders as yourselves it would be a matter of a few minutes work i'm sure (i see that livings124 is the one who submitted the change, and i have it on good authority that he's remarkably handsome and basically a programming god), and it would make a (maybe small but significant) number of dedicated transmission supporters very happy.

or at least, if i have to resort to trying to write the code myself, will you accept it? i really don't want to be modifying the source code & compiling every time i want a new build of transmission. i can't have it as the only thing using base 10 filesizes when everything else on the internet and my machine (yes including finder and disk utility) uses the units that have been standard for longer than i've existed (maybe :) )

i promise to be a good beta tester and even donate when i'm less impoverished.
Rolcol

Re: oh god, PLEASE make the filesize base change optional

Post by Rolcol »

<sarcasm>But you're not seeing it the way Apple sees it! Us users are idiots and its better for us in the long run! </sarcasm>
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

damn, you're right, it IS better to have inconsistencies not only between apple software and the rest of the world, but also between apple software and apple software :roll:
wingnutsc

Post by wingnutsc »

Yes, please make this optional. I downloaded a script to change 10.6 back to base 2.
Jolly Jimmy

Post by Jolly Jimmy »

OH please please pretty please make this an option! Base 10 is useless when the whole internet is using base 2.
Fack

Post by Fack »

Please, let us choose witch base unit to use! It is a scientific reason to explain why in the 1960s, when the byte was created, the base 2 was used.

Apple decided to forget this simple reason : the byte unit come from the bit unit, meaning "binary digit". The real value of memory is in bits. 8 bits = 1 byte. To summarize, to represent 1 000, like the international system, it give 1111101000 in binary, but it is not a good value because to represent a memory value, the 1 and 0 values must be included in the number to be usable, so it must be 10000000000 in binary to change prefix value. (I hope I am clear, because English is not my main language).

Is like some country decide to say it will be 300 days in 1 year instead of 365! This country would be asynchronous with the rest of the world, like Mac OS X.6 Snow Leopard. They would forgot the reason : The earth turn around the sun in 365 days! (exactly 365.2421988 days, so we have a leap year every 4 years)

So, I patched my Snow Leopard to be in base 2, the real byte system. All my programs gives the goods values, except Transmission 2.10.

So, please, let us choose, like Gnome on Linux does. Until the correction, I'll continue to use Transmission 2.04.

Thanks
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

some kind of staff response would be appreciated, thanks.
Jolly Jimmy

Post by Jolly Jimmy »

At least give us an answer please! Still on 2.04 here.

Base 2 for 10.6.5 http://web.me.com/brkirch/brkirchs_Soft ... eBase.html
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Sorry, but the application is going to stick to the operating system's file base size. This is part of following Apple's HIG.
Jolly Jimmy

Post by Jolly Jimmy »

Thanks for the answer. But could the change not have waited until a least part of the internet and torrent sites start actually using base-10? Will that day ever come? Is the whole internet ever going to change to accommodate Apple's views? This inconsistency is going to last for ever.
D A

Post by D A »

Would it be possible for it to respect whatever setting Foundation Framework uses? I think every app from Apple uses the Foundation Framework to figure out the base for file sizes. That way if you've patched the framework to use base 2 Transmission will use it otherwise it will use base 10.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

If you could make a patch that uses code to access Foundation framework for this information, I would probably use it.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

DA, do you know how to do this? Or, do you know of any other open-source code that does this that could be used for reference?
D A

Post by D A »

I've been using this tool to swap the base for file sizes:
http://web.me.com/brkirch/brkirchs_Soft ... eBase.html

The author may know how format file sizes using it.

HIs email can be found here: http://web.me.com/brkirch/brkirchs_Software/About.html
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

no news? sad times :(