Upgrade to 2.10 on Linux caused gui problem

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
josephj

Upgrade to 2.10 on Linux caused gui problem

Post by josephj »

I just installed the update to 2.10 from the ppa repository (kubuntu karmic) using the kde update notifier. It broke my application links.

All my links pointed to /usr/bin/transmission. This was deleted and replaced by /usr/bin/transmission-gtk.
When I tried to run transmission from the gui, nothing happened. When I ran it from the cli, it said it wasn't installed.

I 'fixed' the problem with

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/transmission-gtk /usr/bin/transmission

but this should probably be fixed on transmission's end as well.

Joe
Longinus00

Re: Upgrade to 2.10 on Linux caused gui problem

Post by Longinus00 »

This isn't a transmission problem but a packaging problem. Why don't you use transmission-qt?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Longinus00 wrote:Why don't you use transmission-qt?
What's that got to do with it? :)
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Charles wrote:
Longinus00 wrote:Why don't you use transmission-qt?
What's that got to do with it? :)
I would assume that he suggests it because Qt applications fit in nicer with KDE and Longinus00 helped work on most of the changes that went into 2.10.

josephj: You probably just have to manually edit the Transmission .desktop file in the KDE menu to point to transmission-gtk
josephj

Post by josephj »

I'll look into the transmission-qt package. Will it have any noticeable differences from the gtk package?

I guess I just didn't see the option when I first installed.

qt stuff is usually better for kde.

Rolcol: I fixed it with a symlink because (at least at that simple level) I know what I'm doing. Someone else might get stuck. The point was that the application name had changed and broke things unnecessarily. Yes, that looks like a packaging thing, but since I got it from the ppa, "it's our packaging thing."

Joe
josephj

Post by josephj »

I looked at the qt version recently. In the karmic repos (and, I assume the PPA), it was a couple of releases behind the gtk version, so I stuck with the gtk version.