Why no uploading?!

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
garnercx

Re: Why no uploading?!

Post by garnercx »

Lacrocivious wrote: With any 2.30/2.31 build I tried, svn or tarball, initially upon start Transmission would seed all six torrents to the requesting leecher, but after 30-60 minutes it would stop seeding and would not resume seeding despite any prodding I knew to use (pause/start, unload/reload, ritual human sacrifice). Quitting Transmission and then restarting it caused the same torrents to begin seeding again, but for only 30-60 minutes. This was true of transmission-gtk and transmission-qt -- and I believe transmission-daemon as well though my testing with the daemon was marginal -- and occurred with absolute repeatability.
These are the exact symptoms I had with the same version and tracker scenario, except I'm on a Mac (OS X 10.6.7).
Lacrocivious wrote: When I reverted to the 2.22 tarball, the problem disappeared entirely.
Exactly the same with me. Once I went back the issue went away.

Happy to provide additional information is required.
phantomc

Post by phantomc »

Will this be fixed in the next transmission version (ie 2.32)? I guess I am a noob and cannot apply the patch manually.
Lacrocivious

Post by Lacrocivious »

phantomc--

I am sure this problem will be fixed in the next transmission release... or as sure as a non-developer can be, based upon project history.

Your problem with incorporating the patch has three major factors:

1. While the patch itself is simple and may be done manually with a text editor such as nano or gedit -- you need only insert two slash characters '//' at the beginning of two lines in both file announcer.c and file torrent.c in the /libtransmission subdirectory *before building* from source -- there are complications in your particular setup, not least of which is your confessed status of 'noob'.

2. Optware is a special repository type designed specifically for routers, NAS and similar devices. This requires package tweaking beyond that needed for desktop-type environments. My limited understanding of Optware is that it provides compiled packages and an easy way to install them to your device, without necessarily becoming a propeller-head geek first. That means the packages will already have been built, and the two files to be patched need to be edited and saved before the build. From http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/optware :
Note: it's highly recommended to use only feeds to install the software, and not mix feeds and manual installs from the source
3. To achieve patchness, in your particular setup, you need help from someone who is familiar with at least Optware and probably also with your specific MyBook device. There may be many packages to install in order to build anything, for example. Without having the same or similar setup or expertise with it, the task of guiding you through this 'simple' task is too daunting for most of us in a forum context like this one.

Meanwhile, perhaps you could revert to version 2.22.
Lacrocivious

Post by Lacrocivious »

The seeding-stops problem appears to have been fixed in svn trunk r12518.
phantomc

Post by phantomc »

Lacrocivious wrote:The seeding-stops problem appears to have been fixed in svn trunk r12518.
announcer.c change seems to have been made, however I don't see the change of torrent.c in svn?

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/changes ... er.c#file0
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

phantomc: Are you still seeing the issue?
wakeman

Post by wakeman »

I jumped straight from 2.13 to 2.31 (under ubuntu) and the issue can be seen clearly.
I upload full BD to quite a few private trackers, and it is extremely inconvenient when the newly uploaded torrent has 10-15 leechers and suddenly they all disappear from the peer list.

Stopping/starting the torrent does not resolve the problem. I have to either remove the torrent and load (and hash) it again, or stop the transmission and start it again.
phantomc

Post by phantomc »

I see the problem in private trackers with torrents which are normally well seeded.

With the new nightly, announcing now seems fine, however before the next announce, leechers start disappearing and become 0 again. I double checked with uTorrent on windows for the same torrents, and I see the leechers at least with uTorrent.

(I tried on usual Debian, not the optware one)
Last edited by phantomc on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
phantomc

Post by phantomc »

x190 wrote:
phantomc wrote:I see the problem in private trackers with torrents which are normally well seeded.

With the new nightly, announcing now seems fine, however before the next announce, leechers start disappearing and become 0 again. I double checked with uTorrent on windows for the same torrents, and I see the leechers at least with uTorrent.

(I tried on usual Debian, not the optware one)
I'm confused! :? This thread is about uploading.
Sorry I should have written leechers instead of seeders, my mistake. *edited now.
wakeman

Post by wakeman »

x190 wrote:
wakeman wrote:I jumped straight from 2.13 to 2.31 (under ubuntu) and the issue can be seen clearly.
I upload full BD to quite a few private trackers, and it is extremely inconvenient when the newly uploaded torrent has 10-15 leechers and suddenly they all disappear from the peer list.

Stopping/starting the torrent does not resolve the problem. I have to either remove the torrent and load (and hash) it again, or stop the transmission and start it again.
Can you try the latest nightly?
Unfortunately no - I am part of the noobs horde here...
joewill

Post by joewill »

I had the "seeding stops after an hour...restarting the program restarts seeding for an hour and then seeding stops again" problem with v2.31, so I had downgraded to 2.22 and everything was fine again.

But I saw that 2.32 was available, and it ends in a nice 2, just like 2.22 :D , so I tried 2.32, and seeding has been going strong for 8 hours now. So it looks to me like the seeding bug introduced in 2.30/2.31 is indeed fixed in 2.32. Now I'll just wait until version 2.42 for my next upgrade! :)
StealthOne

Post by StealthOne »

joewill wrote: had the "seeding stops after an hour...restarting the program restarts seeding for an hour and then seeding stops again" problem with v2.31, so I had downgraded to 2.22 and everything was fine again.

But I saw that 2.32 was available, and it ends in a nice 2, just like 2.22 , so I tried 2.32, and seeding has been going strong for 8 hours now. So it looks to me like the seeding bug introduced in 2.30/2.31 is indeed fixed in 2.32. Now I'll just wait until version 2.42 for my next upgrade!
Is this everyone else's experience too?

I'm still seeing all torrents go to zero seeds and peers after a short time when seeding. Reannouncing the torrent will get seeds/peers, but only for a short time.

[EDIT] I'm on v 2.32
lordcantgamer

Post by lordcantgamer »

StealthOne wrote:
joewill wrote: had the "seeding stops after an hour...restarting the program restarts seeding for an hour and then seeding stops again" problem with v2.31, so I had downgraded to 2.22 and everything was fine again.

But I saw that 2.32 was available, and it ends in a nice 2, just like 2.22 , so I tried 2.32, and seeding has been going strong for 8 hours now. So it looks to me like the seeding bug introduced in 2.30/2.31 is indeed fixed in 2.32. Now I'll just wait until version 2.42 for my next upgrade!
Is this everyone else's experience too?

I'm still seeing all torrents go to zero seeds and peers after a short time when seeding. Reannouncing the torrent will get seeds/peers, but only for a short time.

[EDIT] I'm on v 2.32
I'm on v 2.32 as well.

I can confirm I have the same problem with zero peers while I am seeding. Obviously this is leading to decreased upload speed.
I am on a private tracker, I have PEX - DHT - LPD and uTP disabled (best uploading speed is observed this way).
I am seeding multiple files at the same time.
If I restart transmission, it will get more peers, after 30-60mins transmission will lose the peers again.

(I checked the torrent files with uTorrent, I observe lots of peers connected from seeds & leechers at the same time.)

Here is an example of what happens... As you can see, from the announce I got 80 peers, but after a while all the peers disappeared.
Attachments
Transmission zero peer bug.
Transmission zero peer bug.
transmission232bug.jpg (119.87 KiB) Viewed 12988 times
lordcantgamer

Post by lordcantgamer »

Zero peers was driving me crazy so I downgraded to 2.22.
2.22 seems better in terms of seeding / uploading in general.

uTorrent never gives 0/0 when I manually do a announce, it gives the correct seed/peer number (for private trackers).

On Transmission, when I update, I get 0/0 seed/peers. Only after a longer seeding period, peers start appearing with 2.22. With 2.32 this was not the case, it was more random.
However, I must note that there are still some few torrent files from the same tracker which are 0/0 with transmission 2.22. On uTorrent they have peers.

I have no problem with public trackers, in fact I have not observed 0/0 seeds/peers with them.
tomaasbark

Post by tomaasbark »

I'm also seeing this problem on 2.31. The torrent downloads quickly, but very little uploading happens. These are well seeded torrents, but there should still be some uploading as there are still plenty of leechers.

As a test, I loaded the same torrents in uTorrent and saw significant uploads compared to Transmission. There is something here that needs to be investigated!