Dropped seeds after 30 min - 1 hour

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
dashwood

Dropped seeds after 30 min - 1 hour

Post by dashwood »

I've seen some previous posts about this, but none offered a satisfactory solution.

I'm running v. 2.30 on Mac OSX 10.5.8, on a DSL modem with no router.

I can download fine, but I can only upload for 30 min - 1 hour before my seeds are dropped. Restarting Transmission restores the seeds, but does not fix the issue - they are dropped again in the same amount of time. Restarting the modem does not fix it, either.

Any ideas what it could be?
wingnutsc

Re: Dropped seeds after 30 min - 1 hour

Post by wingnutsc »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11715&start=15

could be related to this.
dashwood

Post by dashwood »

It's similar, but instead of just not leeching, the leechers are dropped entirely after a period of time. Even though the tracker still recognizes them, Transmission does not seem to. Once restarted, after about ~2-5 min, Transmission will recognize the leechers again and start seeding for the same period of time...
countzer0

Post by countzer0 »

I have the same behaviour in 2.31 - torrents are seeded for approx. half an hour then stop. After this, the tracker shows leechers but Transmission cannot see them. Restarting Transmission resumes uploads for another half hour or so. Also, Transmission can only see some of the leechers, not all.

Reverting to 2.22 cures this.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

This is happening to me too -- and it happened with 2.30b2 as well.

I'm using only a private tracker. The inspector shows scrapes succeeding and getting eg. 145 peers for a torrent from today of a popular file, but none of the peers show up in the peers tab. Once in a while a utorrent 2.2.1 or Transmission 2.31 client (only) pops into the peer list and transferes for a short time, but the peer tabs are otherwise completely empty. It seems like Transmission is for some reason throwing away or disregarding most peers. Some uTP-related bug?
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

It's already disabled.

Note that lossage is also reported in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11762&p=54971#p54971

I rebuilt with the two indicated patches and can currently see a modest number of peers, but not as many as I'd expect.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

x190 wrote:
anthony11 wrote:It's already disabled.
Then why suggest µTP might be buggy?
I didn't. I speculated since it was new in the release where the problem started.
I rebuilt with the two indicated patches and can currently see a modest number of peers, but not as many as I'd expect.
Where are these patches located?
Here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11762#p54969
I grabbed what I believed to be the 2.31 sources from svn and made the indicated changes, albeit with some fuzz wrt the line numbers. Getting XCode to build the thing was bizarre, and I'm still not seeing the number of peers I used to, or getting quite the upload rates that I expect given 2.22 performance, but it's substantially better than it was -- 200KB/s beats 2KB/s.

Curiously, after running the binary that I built, 2.22 crashes on startup. Stock 2.31 still runs, albeit in the solipsist mode that brought me to this thread.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

x190 wrote:
Curiously, after running the binary that I built, 2.22 crashes on startup.
Probably because the resume files are incompatible between 2.22 and 2.31.
Yet somehow that wasn't a problem when I reverted to 2.22 from 2.30b2 or from stock 2.31. I haven't found a reference on the resume files, so it's not clear to me if they could be safely purged or not.
200KB/s beats 2KB/s.
Do you and gunzip stand by seeing such incredible gains due to this code change over time?
Does management have any opinion on this issue?
A day later and I'm still getting at least decent uploads, though not quite what they were before and with fewer peers shown in the inspector. I've got one uTorrent 2.2.1 client slurping a 3-month-old torrent who gyrates between 0 and 600 KB/s. Average over time seems to be maybe 100 KB/s aggregate -- hard to say since Transmission lacks stats. Most peers I see are still uTorrent 2.21, with the occasional 2.20 or 1.8.3 and the odd libTorrent (Rakshasa) 0.12.6 client, though I don't know that the latter ever actually transfer anything. I see no seeds at all for any torrents in the peers inspector.

I've seen no sort of official response.
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

One of the most recent few changes smelled like it might be related, and I've just installed nightly build 12521 with apparent success.
wingnutsc

Post by wingnutsc »

http://transmission.xpjets.com

latest nightly fixes this issue
anthony11

Post by anthony11 »

wingnutsc wrote:http://transmission.xpjets.com

latest nightly fixes this issue
So in other words, what I said ;)