How to keep transmission completely silent at certain time?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
netvope

How to keep transmission completely silent at certain time?

Post by netvope »

I've disabled DHT and set the speed limits to zero from 9 AM to 5 PM. However, even if I stop all torrents and disconnect all control interfaces (web/rpc), transmission-daemon still communicates via the network. I don't know if it's talking to trackers or peers, but nethogs reports a <1KB/s bandwidth usage for it.

Is it possible to make transmission-daemon completely silent (with regard to bittorrent traffic) without shutting it down? From 9 AM to 5 PM, I want to be able to browse the torrents via rpc, but don't want it to participate in any file sharing activity.

Version: transmission-daemon 2.22
gunzip

Re: How to keep transmission completely silent at certain ti

Post by gunzip »

that small bit of activity you're seeing might be due to the scraping of paused torrents, which is default behavior of transmission. however in version 2.40 a hidden setting in settings.json

scrape-paused-torrents-enabled

allows you to turn it off. so upgrading your version from 2.22 might help a bit.
netvope

Post by netvope »

Thanks a lot! :D

Now I'll have to build transmission by myself (which is not completely trivial because Ubuntu 8.04 seem to lacks many dependencies)

BTW, I think it may be a good idea to add an actual "stop" state to transmission (as opposed to just a "paused" state which still contacts the trackers by default) :)

References:
scrape-paused-torrents-enabled: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Ed ... Files#Misc
Scrapping explained: http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Scrape
netvope

Post by netvope »

It turns out it's not too difficult to build transmission 2.42 on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 x86. I did the following:

Code: Select all

prefix=$HOME/build
cd /dev/shm
wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/downloads/libevent/libevent/libevent-2.0.15-stable.tar.gz
tar -xzf libevent-2.0.15-stable.tar.gz
cd libevent-2.0.15-stable/
./configure --prefix=$prefix
make
make install
cd ..
wget http://download.transmissionbt.com/files/transmission-2.42.tar.bz2
tar -xf transmission-2.42.tar.bz2
cd transmission-2.42
sudo apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev intltool
LIBEVENT_LIBS="-L$prefix/lib" LIBEVENT_CFLAGS="-levent -I$prefix/include" ./configure --prefix=$prefix --enable-utp --enable-cli --enable-daemon --without-gtk
make
make install
Hope this will help someone :)

The only thing not working properly is that if I specify -e (logfile) and -f (foreground) together, transmission-daemon will print nothing on the screen. Not sure if this change in behavior is a bug, by design, or due to my mistakes in building the binary.

I can confirm that scrape-paused-torrents-enabled does keep transmission slient.

(btw, if anyone know how to get pkg-config to recognize my libevent libraries so that I can build without LIBEVENT_LIBS and LIBEVENT_CFLAGS, please let me know)
gunzip

Post by gunzip »

netvope wrote:The only thing not working properly is that if I specify -e (logfile) and -f (foreground) together, transmission-daemon will print nothing on the screen. Not sure if this change in behavior is a bug, by design, or due to my mistakes in building the binary.
I believe that is expected daemon behavior, you can print to foreground or logfile but not both. They are mutually exclusive options.
netvope

Post by netvope »

gunzip wrote:I believe that is expected daemon behavior, you can print to foreground or logfile but not both. They are mutually exclusive options.
Oh you're right. I thought 2.22 printed to both simultaneously.

So the -e switch is effectively just output redirection to a file.