".torrent.added" problem

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
Emerick

".torrent.added" problem

Post by Emerick »

Hello !

I recently installed transmission-daemon on my NAS.

But I noticed that, evertime I restarded my NAS ou simple transmission-daemon, ALL of my torrents got the .torrent.added extension.
And so, any them resume where they were left when shutting down.
Just because of this .added extension.

So, afeter some researches, I didn't find anything.
I don't know wheteher this is a normal behavior, or whether it has to be fixed.

Could someone give me some help ?

Thank you !
rb07

Re: ".torrent.added" problem

Post by rb07 »

Emerick wrote:I don't know wheteher this is a normal behavior, or whether it has to be fixed.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think its normal when you use the watch directory and didn't set the "Delete automatically added torrents" option. In that case it just renames the file, so that it doesn't load it again when you delete the torrent.

The other part you have it wrong: after restarting the daemon torrents should continue doing what they where doing. Unless you start the daemon with the "all paused" option.
Emerick

Post by Emerick »

I'm not sure you really got my problem.

I'm talking about the .transmission-daemon/torrents/ folder.
Each torrent in it get the torrent.added extension (in fact, that's just .added that has been added).

And I'm not talking about a "pause" mode : when I open one of my transmission client, none of my torrents are in the list !

So I have to :

- rename them all with the CORRECT .torrent extension
- re-click on them and launch each of them in the client
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You probably have a non standard installation, but in any case I would check the following:
  • Where is the watch directory?
  • Where is the configuration directory?
  • How do you start the daemon? if you are using the daemon.
The idea is that you may be moving files that shouldn't be moved (renamed). The name of that directory ".transmission-daemon" is not the usual name, but directory "torrents" is, and you should not touch those, they are a copy that the daemon made and usually that copy has the same name with an added hash number before .torrent.

What the daemon uses to restart torrents is in a different directory also inside the configuration directory, one named "resume" (also don't touch anything there).

So let's start from the beginning: what "transmission client" are you using? version?

If you are using transmission-daemon then run in a terminal "transmission-remote -si" with any other parameters you may need (like -n user:pass if you have enabled authentication). Look at the CONFIG section, "Configuration directory:" is what we want, list all the contents of that directory, it should have blocklist, torrents, resume sub-directories. Look inside the settings.json file (for instance with: less settings.json), the options are in alphabetical order, look for "watch-dir", and "watch-dir-enabled", is this directory inside the configuration directory?
Emerick

Post by Emerick »

Thank you for your help.

Well, I don't know what is the "watch-dir", what is it used for ?
Still, I don't see it in settings.json. BUT, I can see it in the console, while typing -si. I don't know how to see the current status of it.

The name ".transmission-daemon", as I remember, I didn't modify it at the set up. Should I rename it ? In what ?

I noticed that every of my torrents got an hash at the end.

I see that folder "resume", and all of my torrents are there too.

I use Transmission-Remote GUI 3.2.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (39.37 KiB) Viewed 22481 times

Here is something that could help you (attached)
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Emerick wrote:"watch-dir", what is it used for ?
Its used to set a directory to automatically load torrents.
Emerick wrote:I can see it in the console, while typing -si.
What version did you see in that console output?
Emerick wrote:The name ".transmission-daemon" Should I rename it ?
No.

The screenshot looks normal, that is the daemon configuration directory, the one I said you shouldn't move things from. The dates look fine, its in use.

The name of the directory is probably set by the installer used, the start-up script too (there is no standard start-up script for transmission). You should probably take a look at the start-up script and see what parameters its using, one is probably "-g <some-path>/.transmission-daemon" to set that configuration directory.

Now about the problem you described: when you start the daemon your torrents are gone. My guess is that you have incompatible versions of the daemon and "Transmission-Remote GUI" (TRG). Perhaps TRG is not showing the real state of things, you should use "transmission-remote -l" to check if the list of torrents is really empty, and if it is, then look more closely to the start-up script to see what is it doing.

There are more things I don't know: how is the daemon stopped? How is it started? Is TRG the one changing torrent names to *.torrent.added ??
Emerick

Post by Emerick »

rb07 wrote:
Emerick wrote:"watch-dir", what is it used for ?
Its used to set a directory to automatically load torrents.
Emerick wrote:I can see it in the console, while typing -si.
What version did you see in that console output?
Emerick wrote:The name ".transmission-daemon" Should I rename it ?
No.

The screenshot looks normal, that is the daemon configuration directory, the one I said you shouldn't move things from. The dates look fine, its in use.

The name of the directory is probably set by the installer used, the start-up script too (there is no standard start-up script for transmission). You should probably take a look at the start-up script and see what parameters its using, one is probably "-g <some-path>/.transmission-daemon" to set that configuration directory.

Now about the problem you described: when you start the daemon your torrents are gone. My guess is that you have incompatible versions of the daemon and "Transmission-Remote GUI" (TRG). Perhaps TRG is not showing the real state of things, you should use "transmission-remote -l" to check if the list of torrents is really empty, and if it is, then look more closely to the start-up script to see what is it doing.

There are more things I don't know: how is the daemon stopped? How is it started? Is TRG the one changing torrent names to *.torrent.added ??

Just to make things clear : when I say "all torrents are gone", it means in Transmission Remote GUI they are not listed. And I guess it's only because they have been renamed .torrent.added. Such an extension can't be resumed because NOT considerered as torrents (in my opinion). They always are in the .transmission-daemon/torrents folder ! Just renamed.

To answer your question : daemon version is 2.5.

As I told you, I don't know where to find what is the current "watch-dir" and if it is "enabled". I guess I have to change this manually, huh ? Well if I understood what it means, it's the command -c.
What folder should be te watch-dir one ? Wouldn't it be "resume" ?

By the way, if /ffp/start/transmission.sh is the start-up script, here's a screenshot :
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (43.96 KiB) Viewed 22464 times
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Yes that is the start-up script. Nothing strange there.
Emerick wrote:when I say "all torrents are gone", it means in Transmission Remote GUI they are not listed.
That was clear, no need to keep repeating it. What I said is: don't rely on TRG, perhaps when you see an empty list in reality is not empty, use transmission-remote to check. TRG is a 3rd party program, I don't use it, I can't help if there is a problem with it.
Emerick wrote:I guess it's only because they have been renamed .torrent.added
Wrong guess.
Emerick wrote:Such an extension can't be resumed because NOT considered as torrents
Wrong, the extension has nothing to do with resuming torrents.

You are making the wrong assumptions because you think you or transmission did something wrong. So far nothing seems wrong, except that strange .added extension, but I don't have enough details to deduce what could be the real problem.
Emerick wrote:They always are in the .transmission-daemon/torrents folder ! Just renamed.
The normal operation of the daemon is to put a copy renamed with a hash number.

If something else is renaming them with the .added extension, its not the daemon (unless someone else modified it to do that), and its something messing things up, those files should not be changed at all by external programs or users.
Emerick wrote:I don't know where to find what is the current "watch-dir"
Don't worry about that, if you don't use the feature, then its not set and you don't need to set anything. The problem just sounded like an automatic torrent loader doing the wrong thing (a RSS feed monitor that adds torrents automatically, or something similar).
Emerick wrote:What folder should be te watch-dir one ? Wouldn't it be "resume" ?
No.

The files in the resume directory are exactly the torrents the daemon will have when you restart it. It could be interesting to see what's in there after the daemon is stopped, and before it is started; but I guess your operation is to shut-down the NAS, and later turn it on. You seem to have some kind of control panel (the script you show looks like part of a control panel), can you test stopping and starting the daemon? just to check if the resume directory keeps the current torrents.

Also, if you can, take TRG out of the picture, use transmission-remote to check things out.
Emerick

Post by Emerick »

"The normal operation of the daemon is to put a copy renamed with a hash number."

=> Yup, sorry I forgot that but of course, when I launch a torrent with TRGUI, this torrent is added to "torrents", with a hash :D

"The files in the resume directory are exactly the torrents the daemon will have when you restart it. It could be interesting to see what's in there after the daemon is stopped, and before it is started"

=> So I guess something's wrong. When I use putty, the "resume" folder is full of my torrents, but using Windows Explorer, this folder is totally empty. :shock: How can it be ?

I'm going to restart my NAS as soon as my DL are finished, it's to say in a couple of minutes.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Emerick wrote:I'm going to restart my NAS as soon as my DL are finished, it's to say in a couple of minutes.
No, don't.

That would serve no purpose. The test I was talking about is stopping just the daemon not the NAS.
Emerick wrote:When I use putty, the "resume" folder is full of my torrents, but using Windows Explorer, this folder is totally empty.
Could be permissions, could be CIFS/SAMBA configuration, could be Microsoft's stupidity. The fact is those resume files are there, the daemon should pick them up when it starts.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Unless something else deletes the resume files... If you make a test, first exit TRG, and don't start it until you make sure the resume files are there.

If the files disappeared, then something else is deleting them. Could be the same "something else" that renames the other files... the mystery deepens.
Emerick

Post by Emerick »

Okay, I tryied with

sh /ffp/start/transmission-daemon.sh stop

I checked, and every thing was fine, USING PUTTY.
.resume extension in "resume" folder, .torrent in "torrent".
And this, even before stopping.
So nothing has changed.
And they still appear in my TRGUI when i restart the daemon.
I didn't encountered that .added problem ... I don't get why.

Should I restart the NAS ?

By the way, I didn't understand what you said : I cant see many folders/files throught Windows, you told about CIFS/SAMBA ... what to do ? Because now, I can't see any of my torrents in "torrents" using windows ... is this normal ?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Emerick wrote:Should I restart the NAS ?
No. I see no use on repeating what you have already seen: that something is renaming the files.

What you proved with the last test is that it is not the daemon the one renaming files, or loosing the resume files which is the real problem. It may be something in the NAS shut down, or NAS start up, or something that acts on a schedule, or ... you get the idea, not easy to guess. Have you asked at your NASes forum? if they have one, or where the installed Transmission package came from... perhaps it installs something else (typical if you followed somebody's instructions). Also what about TRGUI? any mention of a "feature" that sounds like this problem?
Emerick wrote:I can't see any of my torrents in "torrents" using windows ... is this normal ?
No, but that is a different matter, not related to the problem, or to Transmission.
ri60

Post by ri60 »

I have the same problem here.

Transmission 2.81 (14128) installed on DNS 320L NAS.

When my Transmission is restarted all my transfers disapears. My workaound is to rename the .added extension in watched-dir in order to have a torrent file. Once I changed the extension watched-dir detects the new torrent and recovers the incomplete files and continues where it was (resuming OK).

My setting.json

{
"alt-speed-down": 50,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 465,
"alt-speed-time-day": 62,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": true,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1110,
"alt-speed-up": 5,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": false,
"blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist",
"cache-size-mb": 2,
"config_dir": "/ffp/var/transmission/",
"dht-enabled": true,
"download-dir": "/mnt/HD/HD_a2/torrent",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"download-queue-size": 12,
"encryption": 0,
"idle-seeding-limit": 30,
"idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false,
"incomplete-dir": "/ffp/var/transmission/incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": true,
"lpd-enabled": false,
"message-level": 2,
"peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
"peer-id-ttl-hours": 6,
"peer-limit-global": 200,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 50,
"peer-port": 11000,
"peer-port-random-high": 11999,
"peer-port-random-low": 11001,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "default",
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": true,
"preallocation": 1,
"prefetch-enabled": 0,
"queue-stalled-enabled": true,
"queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
"ratio-limit": 2,
"ratio-limit-enabled": false,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": true,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "{2fe0422da3c9125926d01bf7b01f4207320bdb6fXujJ4E7b",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "ri60",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,192.168.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": true,
"scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"seed-queue-enabled": false,
"seed-queue-size": 10,
"speed-limit-down": 300,
"speed-limit-down-enabled": false,
"speed-limit-up": 50,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": false,
"umask": 18,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
"utp-enabled": true,
"watch-dir": "/ffp/var/transmission/torrents",
"watch-dir-enabled": true
}
blacke4dawn

Post by blacke4dawn »

As has been established in this thread this is not done by a normal Transmission installation so it's something that specific manufacturer does, either as a modification of Transmission or as an extra program coming along with Transmission (or possibly even both).

So this is not a Transmission problem but rather a problem with that NAS and thus any questions should be directed to that manufacturer and their support forum.