DHT trackerless

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
gort

ktorrent beta now has DHT

Post by gort »

ktorrent now has DHT feature, but it's implemented in C++:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/n ... /kademlia/

the two c implementations i've found are GPL, though:
http://kadc.sourceforge.net/
http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~tkt_dht/viewc ... t/#dirlist
Neo

Post by Neo »

Trackers that previously worked like crap with Transmission work actually quite well lately.
jah

Post by jah »

I experienced a prime example of the usefulness of this feature tonight. Two torrents i had left running in T had not connected to any peers for days.

Decided to try them in Azureus, and within minutes was connected to 50+ peers via the DHT.
Neo

Post by Neo »

jah wrote:I experienced a prime example of the usefulness of this feature tonight. Two torrents i had left running in T had not connected to any peers for days.

Decided to try them in Azureus, and within minutes was connected to 50+ peers via the DHT.
Yup had similar results a few times before, only with BitComet for Windows instead.
Xilon

Post by Xilon »

I would probably ask ludde (from uTorrent) and look at the mainline/azureus code for the basic algorithm. Since those apps are open source I fail to see why it would be hard to work out the implementation, I could see why it would be hard to implement in the code though. I'm not sure which language uTorrent uses, or which language Transmission uses (objective-C/C++?) but It's likely that Ludde would be a good person to talk to, although uTorrent only has the mainline DHT implemented.
x86surfer

Post by x86surfer »

Since most people often connect to several trackers (with different rules) one way to go, as far as DHT goes, would be when having loaded a torrentfile to have a checkbox for "Use DHT" which you could chose to check before starting each torrent.
Zimbabwhat

Post by Zimbabwhat »

Since most people often connect to several trackers (with different rules) one way to go, as far as DHT goes, would be when having loaded a torrentfile to have a checkbox for "Use DHT" which you could chose to check before starting each torrent.
That's probably not necessary, since private trackers can include a "private flag" with their torrents, thus hiding them from DHT.
John Clay
Transmission Project

Post by John Clay »

Yes, but some private trackers don't have that option. Thusly, it should be an option if DHT is enabled or not.
Poin

Trackerless BitTorrent (DHT), please!

Post by Poin »

Yhea! I really miss DHT support in Transmission too! :shock:
tre

Post by tre »

DHT++
Poin

Official technology, please.

Post by Poin »

The official DHT trackerless from BitTorrent.com, of course.
aslam

Any word on the progress of DHT??

Post by aslam »

Is there any word on the progress of this feature?? This and the ability to select individual files from a torrent to download are the only reasons I still use Azureus.

If there is a choice on which of the two protocals to use - Azureus vs. Manline - I would vote for the one with more clients. I suspect that this is Azureus but maybe there would be another reason to go for Manline that I don't know.

Nonetheless, is there any word on when we'll see this and/or the individual file select??
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

libtorrent (cvs version) has just added dht support. it's c++ and bsd licensed.
Stross

Post by Stross »

Any word on this? What feature is currently being worked on?
ATPTourFan

Post by ATPTourFan »

mechanic wrote:libtorrent (cvs version) has just added dht support. it's c++ and bsd licensed.
nice! Assimilate!