main window not appearing on Windows 7

Ask for help and report issues with the Windows version of Transmission
vollha

main window not appearing on Windows 7

Post by vollha »

Hi guys,

I'm using Transmission on Windows 7 and since yesterday, I'm having troubles with it. At first I thought it's caused by an update because whenever a new version is available something weird is happening or it stops working, but I updated to 2.82 and nothing. The problem is, I can't view the main window. Below are some screenshots to illustrate:

The program is running, the icon is visible on the right, and the silver border around the icon the left indicates that I should be seeing the main window.

I left click to check if there's anything to do: not really, it should be visible.

http://i.imgur.com/LQb6kqb.jpg (link instead of the image because it was cut off)
Aaaaaaand the window is nowhere to be seen.

It started yesterday; I've since updated the program, rebooted my laptop at least four times and googled for a solution. It's still working, I can add torrents, download and so on, I just can't see the main window. I couldn't find anyone with a similar problem; do you have any idea what to do next?

(btw while I'm not an idiot and there's no need to ask me questions like 'do you know where to find control panel', I'd really appreciate replies as simple as possible; English is not my native language, so the simpler the technical stuff, the easier for us all ;) )
rb07

Re: main window not appearing on Windows 7

Post by rb07 »

vollha wrote:since yesterday, I'm having troubles with it
That's the only clue: what did you change yesterday? or somebody who has access to your computer?

My guess: a joker (i.e. person) is having fun by moving the window almost out of the screen, so that only a little piece of it is showing, but in such a way that you don't see it -- like under the task bar. Yep, I used to work with one of those pranksters.
vollha

Post by vollha »

I live with my parents and they both have better things to do than to mess around with my computer, so it's definitely not a prank :) I didn't change anything, in fact, I haven't been using Transmission for a few days. The only thing that's happened was the update. Also, There has never been a Windows download on Transmission website, so I just google for it, and I suspect that someone messed something up. In which case I'll have to wait until next update...
rb07

Post by rb07 »

There is no official Transmission for Windows.

The closest is Transmission-Qt for Windows, which is a port from the original code to Windows (with some changes). I do that port, and make it available, as installers (32-bit & 64-bit) on SourceForge.

That "project" has its own forum, in fact with the latest installers I leave Web links on the "Windows Start All Programs Transmission-Qt" Menu pointing to that forum (marked as Windows support), and this forum (marked as general support). You shouldn't be using this forum for Windows support (because there is no Windows release).

Nevertheless I don't think your "problem" is typical, probably nobody knows the answer. It has to be something you did, or somebody else did.

I also find odd your comments about "whenever a new version is available something weird is happening or it stops working", that doesn't happen (has not been reported) to the more than 10,000 users (estimated, actually the last version has been downloaded more than 67,000 times, and the only real problem reported is with the un-installer).

Also "The only thing that's happened was the update"... what do you mean? My installer doesn't update automatically, and the last version was released more than 2 months ago.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Here's a way to force the main window to show:
  1. Stop the application (Quit on the menu you showed).
  2. Use a good editor (not Notepad) to open C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\transmission\settings.json
  3. Check the line that says

Code: Select all

"start-minimized": false,
  4. Check the lines with:

"main-window-height": 372,
        "main-window-width": 658,
        "main-window-x": 231,
        "main-window-y": 220,

5. Save (make sure line endings are not changed -- that's why I said not Notepad, but Wordpad is almost as bad, at least it has the option -- I use Notepad++).
  6. Start the application.
On the "start-minimized" make sure it says false (I've never used this option, I don't know if it can cause the problem you are seeing).

On the size and position lines you can use my values, those are sure to work putting the window on a visible place.
moodragonx

Post by moodragonx »

I realize this topic is a bit over 3 years old but I am a user of transmission-QT on 64-bit Windows 10 and as of a few weeks ago I have not been able to view or interact with the main transmission window.
I finally got fed up with it and crawled the internet looking for a solution and rb07's suggestion was very helpful.

I inspected this json file and saw the x-position had somehow been set to some extreme value (>2500). I'm not sure how this happened, I don't share this computer and I certainly didn't manually put the window so far to the right of the edge of my desktop. Regardless, closing transmission, setting it to something more reasonable, and reopening immediately resolved the problem.
I figured I'd register, reply, and revive this long-dead thread just in case this was afflicting someone else :)
serengeti76

Post by serengeti76 »

rb07 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm Here's a way to force the main window to show:
  2. Use a good editor (not Notepad) to open C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\transmission\settings.json

4. Check the lines with:

5. Save (make sure line endings are not changed -- that's why I said not Notepad, but Wordpad is almost as bad, at least it has the option -- I use Notepad++).
On the "start-minimized" make sure it says false (I've never used this option, I don't know if it can cause the problem you are seeing).

On the size and position lines you can use my values, those are sure to work putting the window on a visible place.
I have registered just to say thank you , that solved my problem.
dslatt

Post by dslatt »

So, for what it's worth - the same thing is happening on Windows 10 several years later. I'd say there's too much for this to be a coincidence and it's not just happening to one person. Also, I can't seem to find the settings.json file in the transmission folder. Nobody has touched the computer and I haven't used the app in about a month or more, I'd guess. The only difference is a windows update between now and then. I develop software so I already know how to use Notepad++, I know what a settings.json file is and I know when I make changes to settings. I'd say there's definitely something affecting the app regardless of it folks actually want to acknowledge it or not.
molathon

Post by molathon »

dslatt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 am So, for what it's worth - the same thing is happening on Windows 10 several years later. I'd say there's too much for this to be a coincidence and it's not just happening to one person. Also, I can't seem to find the settings.json file in the transmission folder. Nobody has touched the computer and I haven't used the app in about a month or more, I'd guess. The only difference is a windows update between now and then. I develop software so I already know how to use Notepad++, I know what a settings.json file is and I know when I make changes to settings. I'd say there's definitely something affecting the app regardless of it folks actually want to acknowledge it or not.
Hi dslatt, I have exactly this same issue on my computer.
Its been like it for the past week and havent updated anything in that time period. When I open the program it sits minimized to the tray, when you hover over the icon, it previews the transmission page (just a white square) but when you click it, nothing happens.
I have tried plugging in my second screen to see if it somehow appears on there but with no joy.

I'm running Win10 64bit and version 3.00 if that helps

I'm a bit of a noob but do know my way generally around windows. I've looked in the AppData\Roaming folder and there isn't any Transmission folder there :(
I was hoping the issue would right itself but no luck, hence I'm reaching out to the experts :)

Really looking forward to your reply and suggestions.
molathon

Post by molathon »

Hi everyone, not sure whats happened since I posted the comments below but its working fine now. This is really strange since I have done no updates. ANyway all is well, love the program :)
hjasr6

Post by hjasr6 »

rb07 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm Here's a way to force the main window to show:

4. Check the lines with:

Worked for me.

settings.json is now here located:
%LOCALAPPDATA%/transmission