How do you 'register' a torrent file with a tracker?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
dwdockins

How do you 'register' a torrent file with a tracker?

Post by dwdockins »

Yes, I've looked through previous topics... but my question is so stupid, I guess I am the only one in the universe who doesn't know the answer.

I'm using Transmission 2.82 on an eMac and have created a torrent file with the program. I added it to the 'active' folder and populated the tracker list with a bunch of URLs from a web site that says they are the most popular. Results? It just sits there and NEVER uploads. Apparently I need to let 1 tracker (or multiple trackers?) know about it? I can find no actual instructions on how to go about doing this, and there is no Transmission tab available to get me started.

Also, is there a way to identify 'original' trackers for an older file that has lost it's initial tracker list, and also just sit there? (my fault here). Thanks.
rb07

Re: How do you 'register' a torrent file with a tracker?

Post by rb07 »

It depends on the tracker.

Example instructions (public tracker): http://openbittorrent.com/

With private trackers its different, you create the .torrent using their "tracker's announce url", then go to their upload page, fill the form which among other thing uploads your .torrent file, then download their .torrent file (which is not the same as yours), and start seeding with that one.

Just adding trackers won't really do anything. It works for known torrents, but it won't be useful for new torrents if you don't publish or distribute that .torrent (i.e. only the tracker will know about your torrent, no peers will ask for it since they don't know it exist). The publish part is those pages on public/private trackers Web sites, those are not created automagically.
dwdockins wrote:is there a way to identify 'original' trackers for an older file that has lost it's initial tracker list, and also just sit there?
From only the files? No. You would need to create a new torrent. Or re-create the old one exactly (only for advanced users, you have to know that the torrent id is its hash code, and re-creating the torrent means keeping the same hash code -- which you don't define yourself, its the signature of the files, all the files and file structure, names and content).

If you mean from a torrent that doesn't have a tracker list, then there is no tracker list, they are working trackerless (using DHT).

Or you meant an older torrent with a list of trackers that don't exist anymore... yes, its possible in some cases, for instance when a tracker changed protocol or domain, then you just have to edit the tracker changing what is needed (e.g. from http to udp, or from tracker.domain.xx to tracker.newdomain.yy).