Transmission freezing after Yosemite upgrade

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
namesunimportant

Transmission freezing after Yosemite upgrade

Post by namesunimportant »

Hey gang, I upgraded to Yosemite a few days ago and now, Transmission 2.84 is repeatedly freezing. Honestly, it's behaving like a memory leak. The application runs for about an hour and then the memory usage skyrockets. The typical memory load for the 3400 torrents or so is anywhere from 300 MB to 900 MB and after a while the usage runs up and ends up somewhere around 7 GB-9 GB as the application freezes. I've tried uninstalling, deleting the library files as well, and the fresh install worked for a day or so, but then the problem returned after a routine restart. Something tells me the restart triggers the misbehavior, but Transmission quit normally.

Help! What the heck is going wrong!
Rockin' Kat

Re: Transmission freezing after Yosemite upgrade

Post by Rockin' Kat »

I've been running into freezes too. I first noticed it when my fans started going full tilt and I found that Transmission was putting way more load on the CPU than normal. I had to force quit it at that point since it wasn't responding.

It seems to me that this only happens when I have a torrent selected while the Torrent Inspector is opened. If I don't have the Torrent Inspector showing info on a torrent, it keeps running fine.

Try running Transmission without having the Inspector open.
Rockin' Kat

Post by Rockin' Kat »

Otherwise, you could also try running a later nightly build and see if that's working.

I've just downloaded #6071 which is the most recent successful one. I've had it running for just over 10 minutes now without a crash while having the Inspector open with a torrent selected. Maybe they've fixed it, maybe it's going to take longer than the last crash, dunno yet.

Once you've downloaded it, If you get an error about not being able to open it because it's from an unsigned developer, you'll have to go into your System Preferences, open Security & Privacy and set it to allow you to open apps downloaded from anywhere. Alternatively, you can note that under this setting is a message telling you that you tried to open an unsigned app that it didn't let open and just click the Open Anyway button instead.
namesunimportant

Interesting to know, thanks. I pretty much always have the inspector open and all torrents selected (to see activity). I will re-install and fiddle around with that. And yeah, I've got my prefs set pretty loose for downloading applications!
namesunimportant

Rockin' Kat wrote:Try running Transmission without having the Inspector open.
Yup, this appears to do the trick. Thanks for the guidance!
dakta

Post by dakta »

Confirmed that running 2.84 on Yosemite, the UI often freezes. Querying the process with transmission-remote from Terminal shows it's still active and behaving correctly, so it's just the UI that is having issues.

Have confirmed that this freeze only seems to happen when the Inspector is open and a torrent is selected. It seems to occur much more quickly when multiple torrents are selected. Potentially related to https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/5827
dakta

Post by dakta »

I've done it, awaiting moderation.
jeanralphio

Post by jeanralphio »

Hey, I don't have Torrent Inspector open, I'm not pointing at a torrent and I am force quitting way too much with 2.84 (14306) and Yosemite.
dakta

Post by dakta »

on pause/quit?
Key words there. The issue I'm reporting doesn't occur on pause/quit. Though jeanralphio seems to have a completely different complaint.
lukecro

Post by lukecro »

I've got a similar problem here -- after installing OS X Yosemite, Transmission now eats up ALL memory, making all applications turn unresponsive. This happens even when I don't have the torrent Inspector window open. It's not immediate though -- I usually have to leave Transmission running for a couple of hours before Transmission freezes... And if I leave it on all day, that's when it maxes out the entire OS.

Yosemite is a buggy mess overall. But Yosemite combined with Transmission makes for an even bigger mess :(
jeanralphio

Post by jeanralphio »

After a few days of relatively stable performance, it's gone downhill again. I cannot force quit and will have to re-boot the Mac without proper shutdown, trash Transmission and try again. Grrrr.
Reid

Post by Reid »

This is a severe issue. Some information from my experience that might help:

It appears that Transmission starts eating up tons of memory when my display goes to sleep. It will continue to eat away at memory until there is none left. If I can catch the process (after being away from my Mac) before it consumes all the memory, waking the display up will cause Transmission to slowly release memory back down to a more reasonable amount (i.e. 9gb to 700mb). Of course Transmission is unresponsive when it is taking up all the memory, but once it releases it- Transmission resumes to a normal state until the display is put to sleep again.

OS X Yosemite (10.10) fresh install on iMac with 32gb ram.
lukecro

Post by lukecro »

Any news on this? I tried the fixes listed in the Apple thread posted by x190, and I installed the .1 update to OS X Yosemite -- combined, this seems to have fixed just about every Yosemite bug I was running into before, EXCEPT for the problem of Transmission freezing periodically and having to be force-quit daily. :cry:
Rayto

Post by Rayto »

I can confirm Reid's observation. Crashes every time the display sleeps.

iMac 8,1, 6gb ram, fresh install, absolutely no issues with any other app or Yosemite.
markprzepiora

Post by markprzepiora »

I don't want this to be a "me too" post, but I upgraded to Yosemite yesterday and woke up this morning to this screen: (Well not this exact screen—I didn't take a screenshot, but the "your system has run out of application memory" dialog)

http://i.imgur.com/HDplIwv.jpg

I didn't note down the exact amount, but Transmission was using something like 55GB of memory. My system has 32GB physical memory so it's pretty hard to kill it like that. :)

I'll try the fixes recommended in the apple.com thread and report back on whether that helps out.