Is Transmission for macOS abandoned?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
muse laundromat

Is Transmission for macOS abandoned?

Post by muse laundromat »

I'm genuinly asking and am concerned. Transmission 3.00 was released 22nd of may 2020. This is two years ago, and there's been no updates since. Transmission is still not updated for Apple sillicon M1-processors, which coincidentally also was released in 2020. I know there are some work on the nightly builds, but two years and still nothing stable has been released? Plus the website screams "outdated and no longer maintained".

Is development of Transmission dying?
fuga

Re: Is Transmission for macOS abandoned?

Post by fuga »

A simple reply would be most welcome.
GaryE

Post by GaryE »

Transmission is very much alive, and i recommend checking out the nightlies. https://build.transmissionbt.com/job/trunk-mac/

There are code changes almost every day at the moment. https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... mmits/main

Just today i've asked users if they want changes to the design of 'Groups'. https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... sions/3083

I'm not a maintainer, just a contributor.
muse laundromat

GaryE wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:19 pm Transmission is very much alive, and i recommend checking out the nightlies. https://build.transmissionbt.com/job/trunk-mac/

I'm not a maintainer, just a contributor.
Thanks! That’s good to know, but why hasn’t there been any betas or stable releases in almost two years? And what is the ETA for the next beta/ stable?
GaryE

Post by GaryE »

Maintainers are reluctant to specify a date, but a beta is likely, *i* think, within the next 3 months. Why two years? My opinion is that life for the maintainers happened and the community with development skills didn't pick up sufficiently. BUT, the whole application has been pretty much rebased into C++, the web client got a big overhaul, and the ARM coding took time as well.
megadeth7

Post by megadeth7 »

The current nightlies appear mostly stable, other than I get frequent requests to approve Transmission to use external drives plus, and this prevents me from switching over, the files for the web interface appear to be MIA. Any idea when a nightly will be released with these two issues resolved?
muse laundromat

GaryE wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 am Maintainers are reluctant to specify a date, but a beta is likely, *i* think, within the next 3 months. Why two years? My opinion is that life for the maintainers happened and the community with development skills didn't pick up sufficiently. BUT, the whole application has been pretty much rebased into C++, the web client got a big overhaul, and the ARM coding took time as well.
Totally understandable. Life gets in the way, and they're doing this on their free time. Two years is a long time though. I'm crossing my fingers for something being released this fall :)
GaryE

Post by GaryE »

I'm currently working on the enormity that is the change log for Beta 1, so that fall date may need to move back a bit!
muse laundromat

You mean, getting released later? What do you think is the ETA? October or December? I'm just so excited for Transmission updates.