Migrating between Transmissions

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
appas

Migrating between Transmissions

Post by appas »

Hello,
I have read the previous discussions concerning migration, but am still having problems.
I am trying to move from a LibreELEC box to a Mini-PC running MX Linux. The torrent client on both is transmission-daemon.

I have moved over the .torrent files from the .config directory of Transmission, and am trying to re-add them. The location of the torrents is different in the new system, but I have set the new location as the default download location, so it should be enough to re-add the torrents... right? But, when I add a torrent, it starts downloading instead of verifying the existing data! I can force verification, but it'll still download instead of seed. The path I copied from Transmission Remote's Files tab of the added torrent is, indeed, correct, and already has the data. This is actually quite strange, as the data's not being overwritten. If I make it verify the torrent with eg. transmission-remote -t all --verify, it'll say "Couldn't get '/path/file': Permission denied (13)" - the path and file in this example are, indeed, correct, exist, and the user the Transmission daemon is running under (debian-transmission) belongs to the group that owns the directory (users):
ls -ld path
drwxrwxr-x 1 appas users

groups debian-transmission
debian-transmission : debian-transmission users
So, how can I get Transmission to recognize the existing data, and start seeding instead of downloading? Why do I get "Permission denied (13)" when verifying, even though the group has R/W rights and the debian-transmission user is part of the group?
darmok

Re: Migrating between Transmissions

Post by darmok »

Does Transmission generate the same error with a new torrent?

Try setting transmission to NOT automatically start added torrents then manually verify a torrent.
appas

Re: Migrating between Transmissions

Post by appas »

I got rid of the permission issues by having transmission-daemon run as my user, and chowning the /var/lib/transmission-daemon/.config/transmission-daemon/resume directory to this user.

I had the additional problem that re-adding my completed torrents from the old installation to seed them, I am using transmission-remote --auth user:pass -a ~/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents/*.torrent, but only the last torrent in the glob gets added. Shouldn't this work?

Anyway, I used ChatGPT to come up with a script for adding the torrents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Set your Transmission username and password
USER="your_username"
PASS="your_password"

# Directory containing your torrent files
TORRENT_DIR="~/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents"

# Use find to locate all .torrent files in the specified directory
find "$TORRENT_DIR" -name "*.torrent" -type f -exec transmission-remote --auth "$USER:$PASS" -a {} \;
This worked fine, so the problems seem to be resolved for now.