Downloads appear to be active, but no progress bar.

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
TangoArtist

Downloads appear to be active, but no progress bar.

Post by TangoArtist »

For the past week, torrents added to Transmission show up in the All, Active, and Downloading tabs and there seems to be activity but. . . there is NO progress bar and despite indicated DL speeds sometimes approaching 15–20 MB/s the Time Remaining never seems to approach zero, and there is no progress bar to indicate the portion of the file downloaded. There IS a folder created in the INCOMPLETE DL folder and there is a .part file created but it appears that the DL is in an infinite loop.

For context, due to other, unrelated, issues, I downloaded and started using µTorrent Web for Mac and am now having similar issues with it. However, when adding a torrent, no actual download listing is added and it doesn't add anything to the DL folder.

Any ideas on what's going on with Transmission -- or my Mac -- that would effect downloads?

I'm connected through ExpressVPN to Spectrum on a Gigabit Internet connection. (Actual speeds vary, from ~100 MB/s to 800 MB/s.)

I am thoroughly stumped. Suggestions welcome.
ProfML

Re: Downloads appear to be active, but no progress bar.

Post by ProfML »

I have exactly this issue for several torrents.

44 of 49 peers.. DL speeds of 2.3 MB/s (or so...)
Time to download, 3 min 20 seconds-ish

Been like that for a week... still nothing happening with the progress bar, the file in the download destination is effectively empty.
TangoArtist

Post by TangoArtist »

ProfML,

Both of my torrent clients -- Transmission and µTorrent Web –– started having similar issues at about the same time, within hours. Are you on Spectrum?
darmok

Post by darmok »

TangoArtist wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:28 am torrents added to Transmission show up in the All, Active, and Downloading tabs and there seems to be activity but. . . there is NO progress bar
Make sure you haven't accidentally hit cmd-T (Compact View).
the Time Remaining never seems to approach zero
Getting the data for the last few pieces can be a PITA. The client (Transmission) isn't asking for enough data to make seeders interested, so you kindof get deprioritized, as it were, until some peer decides to pay attention.
jbell84

Post by jbell84 »

I have the same problem. Spectrum, Express VPN. Under show title, indicates 0 of xxx MB, (0.00%).

Everyone may already have figured this out: I didn’t remember this happening until the last few days after I updated to v4.0.4. Fortunately, I had v3 and it works perfectly. It may be my perception, but it seems like the v3 DLs are much faster than v4 ever was. Hopefully, it’s a bug that can be fixed. Or maybe I just got lucky.
pjd813

Post by pjd813 »

I have no idea if this relates:
I was adding torrents and I was also finding that there was no progress bar action even when there was minor activity (double digit mb speeds that was very sporadic). Over time I noticed that I was adding torrents that had little or no peers. I wasn’t using the feature of the search engine that updated the peer count. If the torrent peer count had not been updated in years a torrent that at first looked like it had a great ratio and many seeds would turn out to have either a horrible peer to leecher ratio or no peers at all once updated.