215k torrents, not announcing fast enough?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Jorsher

215k torrents, not announcing fast enough?

Post by Jorsher »

Good day,

I had 10 instances of a client with ~21k torrents each. The tracker was correctly reporting all seeded torrents. Wanting easier management, I looked for a client that could handle all torrents in a single instance.

I migrated all torrents to the current version of Transmission. I access the client through the web UI. After a day, the tracker still isn't reporting all the seeding torrents. Only 150-175k are being tracked at any moment.

I've considered maybe there's some rate limiting from the container or host OS, but don't see anything in the logs. The host is TrueNAS SCALE (Debian) and the container is maintained on TrueCharts.

My next guess is that Transmission isn't sending announces fast enough. I don't see any settings that may affect this. Some other clients have options for the number of concurrent announces.

Any suggestions?
Jorsher

Re: 215k torrents, not announcing fast enough?

Post by Jorsher »

https://github.com/transmission/transmi ... cer.cc#L58

Would increasing this number possibly fix the problem? Is there any way to change it without building it?

EDIT: Built 4.0.4 with the linked line changed to a higher number. This has resolved the issue. I would like to know if there's a way to change this without building, or hopefully it can be made a user-configurable value in the future.
darmok

Post by darmok »

I'm a bit confused... "the tracker" is ???? A single torrent tracker (eg: tracker.fred.cc) or a torrent indexing web site (eg: all-those-freds.cc)?

"isn't reporting" in what way?

Sending announces fast enough isn't a thing. The issue is how many announcers can be touched at once without being interpreted as a denial of service attack.

The particular parameter you modified requires a code mod and build; and if it shows to be necessary, we can pull it up into the settings.

So right now you have that build of 4.0.4 running with ~210,000 torrents?! Cool! Wow. Wish I had that much storage! LOL I think our biggest test right now is only 15k torrents.
Jorsher

Post by Jorsher »

darmok wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:17 am I'm a bit confused... "the tracker" is ???? A single torrent tracker (eg: tracker.fred.cc) or a torrent indexing web site (eg: all-those-freds.cc)?

"isn't reporting" in what way?

Sending announces fast enough isn't a thing. The issue is how many announcers can be touched at once without being interpreted as a denial of service attack.

The particular parameter you modified requires a code mod and build; and if it shows to be necessary, we can pull it up into the settings.

So right now you have that build of 4.0.4 running with ~210,000 torrents?! Cool! Wow. Wish I had that much storage! LOL I think our biggest test right now is only 15k torrents.
I have a separate torrent client instance for each tracker/site. There are 216k torrents in the one client for one tracker. On the one tracker/site, it was only showing that I was seeding 150-175k torrents at any given moment, even after running for over a day.

I don't know the specifics for this site, however I understand the norm is for sites to expect an announce every ~45 minutes. I believe at the default setting, it was taking more than 45 minutes to announce all the torrents and the tracker never saw them all seeding at the same time.

50 probably would have been a sufficient value but I set it to 100. The site now shows the correct number of torrents seeding. I'm sure the default setting works for a majority of users, but it would be nice if the value could be modified from the config.

https://i.imgur.com/KEOQONF.png

Yes, the client works with this many torrents. I've only been using it a few days, but here's what I've gathered:

- startup is slow. The client I was using before wouldn't work with 200k torrents, but I could start 10 instances with 21k torrents each and have all torrents seeding and webuis accessible in just a couple minutes. CPU usage during startup is barely above idle, so seems to be the client itself that's slow. It takes ~45 minutes before the daemon is up and running and I can get to the webui. I need to dig into it more

- webui is slow, sorta. Obviously with this many torrents, it won't be very responsive, but I'm pointing it out anyway.

- ram and cpu usage are impressively low

All good. I will test out a few other clients but I'm glad to see there at least one that can handle real pressure. Thanks!
darmok

Post by darmok »

Yeah, the announce block backs off with each attempt, and can eventually lead to a 45m+ delay. The theory is that if all clients do this then it should lead to a more manageable load on the tracker. I dunno it's true. I do know that Transmission has been faulted for being "too polite". But taken to the extreme, over last spring's loads, some people had 0 torrents running because no public tracker would talk to the client.

If you have the time, please try a setting of 50. I'm also going to test here, but I don't have 200k+ torrents going.
Jorsher

Post by Jorsher »

Yeah, I don't use public trackers. I can try 50 but it might not be for a week or so after I'm off vacation. For now just wanted to get it functioning.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting why starting the client takes an hour to load?