"Update Tracker" works different?

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
albabe

"Update Tracker" works different?

Post by albabe »

It seems the "Update Tracker" pull-down works different than in the last version...

It appears you can't repeat that action for quite a while... which sorta sucks at trying to get a good d/l or u/l if the tracker has stalled.

I've chatted in real time with folks who are getting a good download while my torrent has stalled on the same torrent and the "Update Tracker" pull-down is greyed out. It wasn't this way before.

Any ideas?

Thanx a bunch...
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

It limits the time between announce to the tracker's min_announce_interval, as we're supposed to according to the bittorrent specification. Other torrent apps do this as well.
albabe

Post by albabe »

So it is different than the last version of Transmission?

It seems like it won't let me "announce" as quick as the last version? Is this interval different with each tracker? The tracker has a specific announce time that Transmission relates to?

When you say "tracker," what do you mean...?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

it doesn't matter which tracker. the min_announce interval is defined in the BitTorrent spec, so any tracker can return it.

Transmission 0.90 matches uTorrent 1.8's behavior of using min_announce as the interval at which you can do a manual announce. For many trackers, that is stricter than 0.82's behavior.
JrWho

Post by JrWho »

I was wondering why that wasn’t working…… can you guys put something on there that shows how much time is left till the next update?
albabe

Post by albabe »

I'm still confused... I'm not much of a tech person... It seems the other version gave me much better speeds and if it stalled I could update the tracker... Can't seem to do that with this version. I also can't seem to connect to torrents that my friends are hooked up to... I call them in real time and they're getting good u/l and d/ls.

And on the rare ocassion that my "Update Tracker" isn't greyed out... when I use it... it takes much longer than the previous version to do anything.

No offence... but... all I really know is that the last version worked better for me...

Is there a place I can d/l it... (I looked on the tranny page and even though older builds were listed, the links all went to the newest one... so I couldn't find it).
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

JrWho: that's a good idea. Could you open a trac ticket for it please?
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

Ticket created: Enhancement #417
albabe

Post by albabe »

I just went back to 0.82. My u/l and d/l are almost twice as fast... and torrents that were just sitting there 5 minutes before (and all day yesterday) in Tranny 0.90 are now working.... fast.
albabe

Post by albabe »

C'mon guys... I may not be too tech savy, but I'm not an idiot...
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

albabe: Stop posting the same thing is multiple threads. The fact that you didn't even know what a crash log shows me much about your knowledge of what is better.
albabe

Post by albabe »

I see no reason for you to be condescending and arrogant. And I guess the fact that I don't know what a crash log is, means that the client works just fine?

So this Forum is only for Tech-Savvy users?

I was responsive and kind to you in the other thread... and you never answered my first question... and now you are being pompous and dismissive...

http://transmissionbt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2651
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

You have been spamming the forums and posting terrible reviews of the app across the internet because you get a crash. You don't need to post that your app isn't working in every single thread...we're looking into these things.

(also, I think this is the first time I ever had to explain to anyone what a crash log is...it's not being tech savvy)
nusuns

Re: "Update Tracker" works different?

Post by nusuns »

livings124 if your app is solid and in fact works correctly why would one bother responding to negative posts in such a way. All apps have people who like and dislike for various reasons. Insulting someone's knowledge on a topic that you have obviously spent a great deal of time on seems kind of like beating up your little sister.

Since negative reviews are such a big thing on this forum here comes mine.

I dual boot Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows xp. Several times I have tested Transmission against uTorrent with the same torrent files from same tracker and every time uTorrent d.l. was faster on the same machine with different OS. My Ubuntu installation works fine other than the issues I have had with Transmission. Long story short I boot to windows when I'm dl torrents.