Transmission causes leopard slow death

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
martin308

Re: Transmission causes leopard slow death

Post by martin308 »

Im having luck reducing the number of connections and concurrent downloads.

I am going to keep increasing them to try and find the optimal number.

At the moment I am up to global max of 200, 50 max per torrent with max 2 concurrent downloads and max 1 seeding
kidmidnight

Post by kidmidnight »

motulist wrote:
So there's your big clue developers. The problem is probably (but I can't say definitely) due to something that's been added to Transmission at some point in version 1.23 or later.
read the thread. this has been happening to plenty of people on 1.22, myself included. somtimes it doesnt happen for weeks at a time, sometimes it happens multiple times a day.
KTamas

Post by KTamas »

I'm having the same problem. Transmission 1.33 / OSX 10.5.5 / Macbook 2.1 (black). Right now it dies after like 3-4 minutes :(
essiw

Post by essiw »

KTamas wrote:I'm having the same problem. Transmission 1.33 / OSX 10.5.5 / Macbook 2.1 (black). Right now it dies after like 3-4 minutes :(
try 1.34?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

I'm wondering if 1.34, which fixes ticket #1254 about Transmission opening lots of unnecessary sockets, ameliorates this problem any.
martin308

Post by martin308 »

Does anyone know the default max number of connections and number of connections per torrent setting?

Ive done so much playing around with them that I'm not sure what to set it back to so I can try and reproduce the bug in 1.34!
Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy »

martin308 wrote:Does anyone know the default max number of connections and number of connections per torrent setting?

Ive done so much playing around with them that I'm not sure what to set it back to so I can try and reproduce the bug in 1.34!
If I recall correctly, the default is 200/50.
martin308

Post by martin308 »

cool cheers will do some testing tonight
techharmony

Post by techharmony »

Default settings for these are (at least, in 1.34-6770) :
- Global max connections: 200
- Max connections for new transfers: 60
- Queues: Download setting is Off, but with suggested # of 3 if On
- Queues: Seeding setting is Off, but with suggested # of 3 if On

Basing this data on fact that I am using a new machine (MBP, 10.5.4, about 2 weeks now) and have not changed these settings that I can recall. I don't see any button to 'reset' these values to a default initial state, so cannot verify otherwise.
techharmony

Post by techharmony »

Not sure if this is exactly right thread place, or if it should be in different Virtual Memory related thread, other refs I saw were to earlier versions -- but when I leave Transmission (1.34) running, this new MBPro (Aug 2008, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5.4) eventually after a day or so, gets up to using 6 or 7 swapfiles (as verified by MemoryStick and VM directory).

Leopard continues to run (so it is not dying), but Activity Monitor indicates Transmission (1.34, 6770) is using 1.25 GB Virtual Memory and 84 MB Real. That makes Transmission the highest VM user on this setup, with Finder and Safari following.
Usually, I try to quit other apps when not using them (sometime even restarting Finder), in order to keep VM pressure down. But still swapfiles climb. Happens perhaps because I leave Transmission running overnight doing maybe one DL and from 3 to 8 UL (as I have not turned on the queue limiting feature).

Note: I never saw that many swapfiles on my G5 iMac with 1.5 GB RAM and 10.4.11 and using Transmission 1.22. I'd run it at about same load of down and up in transmission.
Note 2: Transmission 1.33 had same effect on increasing Virtual Memory use and swap files increasing.
Note 3: I just checked and there are no references to Transmission in the console log. And no silent crash of Transmission, so maybe this is its normal behavior to start gobbling up lots of Virtual Memory?
Zorg

Post by Zorg »

Still getting the freeze despite doing a clean install of Leopard! Using 1.34. Had global max peers set to 150 and new transfers to 40. Funny thing is that the most recent freeze happened while in Speed limit mode of 0, so there was no data being downloaded/uploaded. All I was doing was adding new torrents to the list.
Found this in the Console Messages, around the time of the freeze. Not sure exactly what it is (apparently some kind of network protocol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software) or if it's anything to do with Transmission though.

Code: Select all

20/09/08 6:52:47 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.samba.smbd[161]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 170 PPID 1 smbd 
20/09/08 7:07:21 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10d120.mdworker[549]) Exited with exit code: 1 
EDIT: i've been having a lot of success using the download/upload queuing. Normally, I wouldn't have any queuing and all 156 transfers running and I would always get the freeze. Now i've set the queuing to 8 DL and 15 seed and it hasn't frozen since.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildwater

Post by wildwater »

The poblem still exists in 1.34. Transmission hangs the system with good repeatability.
lucas

Post by lucas »

I reformatted last week and thought I'd give transmission another go and see if this was fixed yet. it's not, so back to azureus I go... shame too, transmission is so much more mac like than azureus (aside from the completely freezing my computer thing)
verses

Post by verses »

Hi,

A few months ago I was suffering with this problem, however I haven't seen it in ages.

I can't remember what led me to my solution, but at some point while diagnosing the problem I disabled Time Machine and I haven't had the problem since. I now just run Time Machine manually, as and when I need it (I don't need hourly back ups, even weekly is overkill for my needs).

I'm not saying that this would fix it for everyone, and it is quite possible that it is just a coincidence that my problem went away when I disabled TM, but it could be worth a try.

Cheers,

Verses
Yada

Post by Yada »

Well I don't use Time Machine and I haven't ever seen this problem, so I am really curious as well if people who experience it have Time Machine enabled.