Unspecified I/O error

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

livings124 say me in other post: Don't double-post, but there is no technical support for me... HEEEEEEELP!!!! :shock:
i´ve been trying to finish one torrent for a long time, when transmission has a short time to have begun, it stops suddenly with this error: Unspecified I / O error

:idea:
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Posting multiple times is really going to help :)

Unless what was suggested for the other people having the same issue didn't work for you, then, If someone around here knew the answer I bet they would have already responded. You'd either have to (1) keep waiting or (2) try to google for an answer. I've never seen the error myself, so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Or you could also check if that tracker you are using has some sort of IRC / Forum and maybe ask over there as well ~or try some other random BT client and see if the issue still persists.
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

thanks Ryoujin...

the traker is OK... many people download this pack without problem. I was trying to import the torrent from transsmision to other as azureus, but when its doing make error.... and san google don´t give me answers :S

i realy appreciate some help, please :oops:
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

Unspecified I/O error ..¿:s?
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

:arrow: Image

heeelp!!
Omega

Post by Omega »

Never seen this either, but then again I am new to BT.

What is showing up in your message logs? Nothing which can shine more light on the situation?

Also, what are you writing to? A quick look on the net points to possible HD issues.
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

caray!!! q nadie ayuda en este sitio?? .... someone?? staff?? ... i´ve problems (Unspecified I/O error) and i´ve 2 months saying heelp heeelp heelp , and nothing response :oops:
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Si alguien supiera la respuesta al problema te hubieran contestado hace rato.
If someone knew the answer to your issue someone would have answered already.

And, for the record, only one month has passed since your first post :wink:
cheeseman

Post by cheeseman »

Oh, wait... It's the same problem as I'm experiencing!
Somehow I must have overlooked the thread...
Well yeah, anyway - just letting you know that you're not alone.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

I'm not really sure if this helps out:
What's this "IOError - [Errno13] Permission denied" error?

If you just want to fix it reboot your computer, it should solve the problem. Otherwise, read on.

IOError means Input-Output Error, and that is a file system error, not a tracker one. It shows up when your client is for some reason unable to open the partially downloaded torrent files. The most common cause is two instances of the client to be running simultaneously: the last time the client was closed it somehow didn't really close but kept running in the background, and is therefore still locking the files, making it impossible for the new instance to open them.

A more uncommon occurrence is a corrupted FAT. A crash may result in corruption that makes the partially downloaded files unreadable, and the error ensues. Running scandisk should solve the problem. (Note that this may happen only if you're running Windows 9x - which only support FAT - or NT/2000/XP with FAT formatted hard drives. NTFS is much more robust and should never permit this problem.)
Yeah, they mention Windows, but for some reason I randomly read that and thought about this thread.

I also googled and found this article

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2005/04 ... -io-error/
cheeseman

Post by cheeseman »

Thanks for the info - it turned out that my HDD had bad sectors, and Transmission was trying to access them. I noticed that right before the error occurred, the system would freeze for a few seconds, accompanied by a clicking noise coming from the disk. I had to back up all my data, zero the disk with Disk Utility, and make a clean install. Unfortunately, almost all of the torrent was lost, as I was able to back up only one file (others showed Error -36).

Now, is it possible that Transimssion was the cause of the bad sectors not being mapped out? Normally, the system should automatically "flag" bad sectors when it encounters them...
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

if you look in the message window, there should be a line saying something like "generic i/o error from errno: [some error message]" that might give some clues.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

If you guys try the latest Nightly Build (from 1.22+ 6420 onwards) you can get more information.

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/changeset/6420
istinkles

Re: Unspecified I/O error

Post by istinkles »

try repairing the drive in disk utility. just select the drive, then repair disk. it worked for me. i don't see why it wouldn't work for you.