Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Post by Jordan »

akio wrote:This is ridiculous. I can't get a bearing on my download speed because someone decided to go against the grain at some point and make their favorite unit of measurement the permanent default regardless of how acccepted another measurement is already. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. It feels almost like the old issue of standard vs. metric. Except I think I speak for most people when I say I expect that the speed should be measured in KILOBITS not KIBIBYTES ftw. :?
This is a topic annoys a lot of people, myself included.

Nevertheless, the decision we made with Transmission was the right one: use the units preferred by the OS' interface guidelines.
lazybones

Re: Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Post by lazybones »

Charles wrote:
akio wrote:This is ridiculous. I can't get a bearing on my download speed because someone decided to go against the grain at some point and make their favorite unit of measurement the permanent default regardless of how acccepted another measurement is already. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. It feels almost like the old issue of standard vs. metric. Except I think I speak for most people when I say I expect that the speed should be measured in KILOBITS not KIBIBYTES ftw. :?
This is a topic annoys a lot of people, myself included.

Nevertheless, the decision we made with Transmission was the right one: use the units preferred by the OS' interface guidelines.
Again, the default should probably follow the OS but would it really be that hard to add a config item and a small block of code to on the fly convert the displayed value?