Transmission 1.50 Released

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
okouais

Re: Transmission 1.50 Released

Post by okouais »

Hi dudes,

I use Transmission on a qnap TS409. I install 1.50 via ipkg.
Tested on one torrent running (private tracker). download from 15-20 peers, upload to 15 peers.

1.50 uses high cpu when downloading (20-50%). But when the download finishes, the upload process has a normal cpu usage (>5%) ...

edit : average cpu load on upload is about 5% but there are peaks at 95% (when I "top" via ssh, it shows RSS jumping from 7500 to 10M)

Any idea for this issue :?:

Keep up the good job on this client .
thank you in advance.
Debu

Post by Debu »

guilherme wrote:
Debu wrote:
eisa01 wrote:@Debu: Customize the toolbar, it is buttons for pausing/resuming just the selected torrent
I missed this post until now.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, how do I do that? :oops:
Control+Click (or Right Click/Double finger click) any place on the toolbar and then select "Customize Toolbar". Then you just drag and drop in order to organize the buttons as you please ;D
Thanks. I'll fool 'round with it.
mmmmmmgood

Post by mmmmmmgood »

I'm connecting to a good number of peers, nowhere near as many as I'd expect to with the torrent I have, but it's enough to get me moderate download speed, so I'm not disappointed.

The problem I'm having though, is that after a few minutes, or sometimes just a few seconds, everything stops and it says "Error: No such file or directory". Whatever the problem, it wasn't in 1.42 r7827.
essiw

Post by essiw »

mmmmmmgood wrote:I'm connecting to a good number of peers, nowhere near as many as I'd expect to with the torrent I have, but it's enough to get me moderate download speed, so I'm not disappointed.

The problem I'm having though, is that after a few minutes, or sometimes just a few seconds, everything stops and it says "Error: No such file or directory". Whatever the problem, it wasn't in 1.42 r7827.
that means you deleted or renamed something, the best thing you could do is to rename them good and putting the files back and then verify data (under transfers) If you don't ahve renamed or deleted something just verify data and it should also help
mmmmmmgood

Post by mmmmmmgood »

essiw wrote:
mmmmmmgood wrote:I'm connecting to a good number of peers, nowhere near as many as I'd expect to with the torrent I have, but it's enough to get me moderate download speed, so I'm not disappointed.

that means you deleted or renamed something, the best thing you could do is to rename them good and putting the files back and then verify data (under transfers) If you don't ahve renamed or deleted something just verify data and it should also help
Thanks, I'll try this.
Bootliner

Post by Bootliner »

Latest OS X on a intel iMac, with a 25/25 Mbit connection. When I updated to 1.50 everything is really slow, the program stalls all the time, and the download speed therefore doesn't get up to 5-6 Mbyte/s as it used to before, but now around 2. The program gets totally unresponsive, and it takes like a minute for the program to show the window if you switch to it. This is when I'm downloading torrents with one file around 10 GB, haven't tried anything else. What is this? Wasn't like this in previous versions, not this much as I'm experiencing in this version. Crappiest version for a long time.
o_0

Post by o_0 »

like Bootliner said , there is a big problem with this version.
and it seems to me the problem effekts you when your downloding more then 2-3 Mbyte/s .
in 1.42 i can have 5 torrents downloadin at the same time with a combine speed of over 8 Mbyte/s , and maby only using 30-60 %cpu time.
in 1.50 i can download 1 file at speeds of 2 Mbytes/s using 90-100 %cpu time. and a lot of lagg, if u switch windows it frezez 1-2 seconds
it gets even worst when u download more then 1 file at the same time, the speeds ranges from 500Kbytes/s to 2 Mbytes/s per file, but the program
frezes evrery 2 seconds. so in reality the program get useless when u download more then 2 file at once.
so i choose to go back to 1.42 downloading the same 2 files, only a minut after i shut down v1.50, and i got speeds climing up to 5 mbyte/s on both files.

with all this information i have a theory that when u download in 1.50 there is more work being done to balcence your speed to get maximum preformence on download rate spread over more files.
how ever when u reches speed over 2Mbyte/s (in my case on a(imac g5 1,8ghz)) the work being done hurts the overall preformance of your download rate becuse the cpu cant kepp upp, or the implantsion of this is not done right at high speeds
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

o_0 wrote:like Bootliner said , there is a big problem with this version.
and it seems to me the problem effekts you when your downloding more then 2-3 Mbyte/s .
in 1.42 i can have 5 torrents downloadin at the same time with a combine speed of over 8 Mbyte/s , and maby only using 30-60 %cpu time.
in 1.50 i can download 1 file at speeds of 2 Mbytes/s using 90-100 %cpu time. and a lot of lagg, if u switch windows it frezez 1-2 seconds
Could you try a nightly build? Many users are reporting that the changes for 1.51 lower the CPU use quite a bit, but more feedback is always good to have.