Cannot connect to IPv6 tracker

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
praseodym

Cannot connect to IPv6 tracker

Post by praseodym »

I'm using the latest Transmission nightly on Mac OS X 10.5.6. I have got IPv6 connectivity (Transmission connects to IPv6 peers successfully) but it will not connect to IPv6-trackers. I have tried this with the SixXS Tracker; a list of torrents on this tracker can be found at https://www.tracker.example.com/tools/tracker/catalog/. Transmission cannot connect to the tracker, responding with a "No Response (0)" error.
praseodym

Re: Cannot connect to IPv6 tracker

Post by praseodym »

Completely offtopic, but Firefox doesn't accept CAcert certificates by default. Just make an exception and you're ready to go.
bob.ross

Post by bob.ross »

I have the same Problem trying to connect to an IPV6 only tracker (http://tracker.tracker.example.com/announce) while connected with IPV4 and IPV6 using sixxs.
Transmission does not get connection to host. (No response (o))
Tried to point him to the correct IPV6 ip, but it is impossible to enter ipv6 ip in the tracker dialogue.
jroysdon

Post by jroysdon »

I am testing with Fedora 11 using transmission-1.72-1.fc11.i586.rpm. I have also tested with transmission-1.75-1.fc12.i686.rpm with the same results.

The problem appears to be if the tracker has no ipv4 address, but only an ipv6 address. Using Wireshark to capture traffic leaving my test host, I see that Transmission only ever sends an A record (IPv4 address) request. Transmission should also ask for an AAAA record (IPv6 address) and attempt to connect to this as well.

I can successfully use the sixxs ipv6-only tracker if I configure Transmission to use my IPv6-enabled Squid proxy. Transmission forwards the tracker connection to the proxy via ipv4 and the proxy does the AAAA lookup and connects to the IPv6 tracker and sends the results back. This work-around may not be available for all.

Once this connection is made, the ipv6-only list of peers works just fine.
jch

Post by jch »