Make transmission autostart

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Wolf

Make transmission autostart

Post by Wolf »

Hello, i just installed transmission on my mybook world, works grait. But after i restart the drive transmission doesnt start by itself.

I followed this tutorial: http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/transmission

and when i come to the autostart thing it sais me to make a startup file in the folder /opt/etc/init.d but there is no sutch folder :/

can somebody please help me with this issue ? thanks, wolf
essiw

Re: Make transmission autostart

Post by essiw »

I don't understand you can startup programms easily with right clicking on it in the dock and clicking on "open after login"
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

essiw wrote:I don't understand you can startup programms easily with right clicking on it in the dock and clicking on "open after login"
i am not using it on a linux system, its installed on a Western Digital NAS drive....
essiw

Post by essiw »

Wolf wrote:
essiw wrote:I don't understand you can startup programms easily with right clicking on it in the dock and clicking on "open after login"
i am not using it on a linux system, its installed on a Western Digital NAS drive....
ah sorry.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Wolf wrote:Hello, i just installed transmission on my mybook world, works grait. But after i restart the drive transmission doesnt start by itself.

and when i come to the autostart thing it sais me to make a startup file in the folder /opt/etc/init.d but there is no sutch folder :/
Simple, just create the directory:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /opt/etc/init.d
If you wonder how it works... optware leaves a script, /etc/init.d/optware.rc, which runs all the scripts it finds under /opt/etc/init.d and have name starting with S, the number gives the order in which those scripts run. I really haven't double checked this, but I'm using it and it works.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

rb07 wrote:
Wolf wrote:Hello, i just installed transmission on my mybook world, works grait. But after i restart the drive transmission doesnt start by itself.

Simple, just create the directory:

mkdir -p /opt/etc/init.d
If you wonder how it works... optware leaves a script, /etc/init.d/optware.rc, which runs all the scripts it finds under /opt/etc/init.d and have name starting with S, the number gives the order in which those scripts run. I really haven't double checked this, but I'm using it and it works.

Okay thanks ! but now i got an other problem with the torrent downloading :/ it always sais there is no sutch file or folder :/
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Wolf wrote:but now i got an other problem with the torrent downloading :/ it always sais there is no sutch file or folder :/
Open the Web client, then open the Preferences, where does "Download to:" says it is saving files?

Your problem, I guess, is that you need to create the download directory. The instructions you used don't say anything about it and don't set it... you can change it in the Preferences, but you need to use a directory that exists.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

rb07 wrote:
Wolf wrote:but now i got an other problem with the torrent downloading :/ it always sais there is no sutch file or folder :/
Open the Web client, then open the Preferences, where does "Download to:" says it is saving files?

Your problem, I guess, is that you need to create the download directory. The instructions you used don't say anything about it and don't set it... you can change it in the Preferences, but you need to use a directory that exists.
It downloads to /root/Downloads

the folder K:\Downloads excists....

*Hmm :/ i changed it to /shares/internal/Downloads, thats where the Downloads folder is really located, doesnt work... also /root/shares/internal/Downloads does not work :s

*It does not even download to the root :s what the hell is wrong...
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Wolf wrote:It downloads to /root/Downloads

*Hmm :/ i changed it to /shares/internal/Downloads, thats where the Downloads folder is really located, doesnt work... also /root/shares/internal/Downloads does not work :s

First thing is you shouldn't be downloading to the root file system, on a NAS the root file system is in flash memory and it can't hold much.

I was thinking about this, the instructions you followed don't say anything but there are a few extra steps you should take:
  • Make sure optware put /opt on the hard disk, not the flash disk. On my NAS, which is a HP MediaVault, it doesn't do it right, I had to correct this;
  • For transmission make sure the directories (plural) exist, and that they are on the hard disk. There are 2 configuration settings for transmission-daemon, -g and -w, the first one is where the configuration goes (and the daemon creates several directories there), the second is where the downloads are stored. When you reboot the NAS some things are not kept, I'm not sure about /root/.config but it could be a problem if it is on the flash disk;
  • Check permissions and ownership. The daemon stores everything as the user it is running as, it can be set in the startup script but the one you used doesn't, this may not be a problem now, but later... in my case I see all files stored from Windows as belonging to user nobody, and I can't remove files owned by root, the idea is that downloads shouldn't need special treatment.
Test were things are with:

df -kh
I don't know how your /shares/internal is set up, in my case is /share/1000, but make sure with the above command, both /opt and /share[s] should be on the same file system (which is the RAID partition), rootfs and / (root) are somewhere else (notice the size difference -- the first have Gigas the last Megas).

Don't go changing things blindly. Perhaps you should test first transmission by running it in "debug" mode:

transmission-daemon -f
... Ctrl-C
transmission-daemon -f -g /root/.config/transmission-daemon -w /shares/internal/Downloads
Look at the output to see what the daemon is doing, stop it with Ctrl-C, but do some tests and watch the output to see if any error is reported, we're looking for "permission denied" or "file or directory does not exist".
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

rb07 wrote:
Wolf wrote:It downloads to /root/Downloads

First thing is you shouldn't be downloading to the root file system, on a NAS the root file system is in flash memory and it can't hold much.

I was thinking about this, the instructions you followed don't say anything but there are a few extra steps you should take:
  • Make sure optware put /opt on the hard disk, not the flash disk. On my NAS, which is a HP MediaVault, it doesn't do it right, I had to correct this;
  • For transmission make sure the directories (plural) exist, and that they are on the hard disk. There are 2 configuration settings for transmission-daemon, -g and -w, the first one is where the configuration goes (and the daemon creates several directories there), the second is where the downloads are stored. When you reboot the NAS some things are not kept, I'm not sure about /root/.config but it could be a problem if it is on the flash disk;
  • Check permissions and ownership. The daemon stores everything as the user it is running as, it can be set in the startup script but the one you used doesn't, this may not be a problem now, but later... in my case I see all files stored from Windows as belonging to user nobody, and I can't remove files owned by root, the idea is that downloads shouldn't need special treatment.
Test were things are with:

df -kh
I don't know how your /shares/internal is set up, in my case is /share/1000, but make sure with the above command, both /opt and /share[s] should be on the same file system (which is the RAID partition), rootfs and / (root) are somewhere else (notice the size difference -- the first have Gigas the last Megas).

Don't go changing things blindly. Perhaps you should test first transmission by running it in "debug" mode:

transmission-daemon -f
... Ctrl-C
transmission-daemon -f -g /root/.config/transmission-daemon -w /shares/internal/Downloads
Look at the output to see what the daemon is doing, stop it with Ctrl-C, but do some tests and watch the output to see if any error is reported, we're looking for "permission denied" or "file or directory does not exist".
Ehm xD i'm actually dont understand a thing from that, lolz, i need detailed step by step help or i dont get there >.< but thanks anyway i will try...

*ok so i did df -kh and it sais this:

So i think it needs to download to /dev/md4/shares/internal/Downloads ???
Aperantly not, still sais no sutch file or folder :/
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Wolf wrote:So i think it needs to download to /dev/md4/shares/internal/Downloads ???
No, wrong, you're making things worse.

If you don't understand something, ask, don't go changing anything in "test and fail" mode you just waste your time, even if it happens to work you will not know why.

Start by running the daemon in test mode, like I said, in a terminal type the following:

If there are no major errors it will keep running until you stop it with a Ctrl-C.

While it is running open the Web client on your browser... do you have any torrents? if not, add one to test.

Look at the terminal output, is there any error message?
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

rb07 wrote:
Wolf wrote:So i think it needs to download to /dev/md4/shares/internal/Downloads ???
No, wrong, you're making things worse.

If you don't understand something, ask, don't go changing anything in "test and fail" mode you just waste your time, even if it happens to work you will not know why.

Start by running the daemon in test mode, like I said, in a terminal type the following:

If there are no major errors it will keep running until you stop it with a Ctrl-C.

While it is running open the Web client on your browser... do you have any torrents? if not, add one to test.

Look at the terminal output, is there any error message?
This is what i get
rb07

Post by rb07 »

There you go, now we have the real problem, the daemon is not taking the -w parameter it tried to store downloads on a directory that doesn't exist: /root/Downloads.

You can create that directory, which is the easy way out, or keep reading the next post to see if you can improve everything.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

The messages from the daemon are normal, just to make things clear:

"Couldn't create socket"... That just means it tried IPv6 which is not supported on a NAS, then used IPv4.

"Found Internet Gateway Device"... By default it tries to open the port on your firewall, if the address 192.168.2.1 is the correct address of your firewall then there is nothing to worry about, if its not (and it gets it wrong very often), then you'll have to disable automatic port opening (parameter -M).

Now the real problem, why the daemon did not use the directory specified with -w? Perhaps it is because it re-started a known torrent that was left with the other directory as download directory, could you try a new torrent to test if /shares/internal/Downloads is used?
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

rb07 wrote:The messages from the daemon are normal, just to make things clear:

"Couldn't create socket"... That just means it tried IPv6 which is not supported on a NAS, then used IPv4.

"Found Internet Gateway Device"... By default it tries to open the port on your firewall, if the address 192.168.2.1 is the correct address of your firewall then there is nothing to worry about, if its not (and it gets it wrong very often), then you'll have to disable automatic port opening (parameter -M).

Now the real problem, why the daemon did not use the directory specified with -w? Perhaps it is because it re-started a known torrent that was left with the other directory as download directory, could you try a new torrent to test if /shares/internal/Downloads is used?
Huh what ? xD

Oh yeah i reopened the torrents and now they work ^.^ thanks man xD i can be sutch a noob sometimes, lol

*Okaay next problem xD as soon as its downloading, it keeps downloading but my network goes down, i cant open web pages and all that but it does keep downloading :/