Here it (almost) is: an iPhone specific Web UI

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
fschaeckermann

Here it (almost) is: an iPhone specific Web UI

Post by fschaeckermann »

Okay...
after a few nights work I finished the design of an iPhone specific web interface for transmission. It is all mock-up right now - no connection to the actual transmission-backend but I thought I'll get some feedback from all of you as to what works for you and what should be changed while I am working on hooking it up to the transmission APIs.

Point you iPhone's Mobile Safari to http://fschaeckermann.homeip.net/transm ... index.html and click around in it.

The main panel shows the torrents in a collapsible list sorted by current activity status (verifying, dowloading, seeding, finished and paused). Finished are those torrents, that have a ratio higher than some configurable target ratio (see settings panel reachable by the settings button in the top right corner). I thought this to be a nice visual clue as to which torrents could be stopped and removed entirely. Seeding torrents have a green progress bar background and a red one crawling up according to the torrent's ratio compared to the target ratio.

If you tap on a torrent, the torrent detail screen will slide in and you can scroll through the detail information. Again I made those parts collapsible to get the information you aren't interested in out of the way instead of having to scroll all over the place.

The file list can now be reached through the tool button in the top right corner.

Each file can have a priority of "do not dowload" (the X button), "low" (the down arrow), "normal" (the circle) and "high" (the up arrow). They work as a radio button group. The last one clicked is always the activated one. The file list changes can be discarded by using the Cancel button in the top right corner from that screen. If you go back using the back button (top left) the changes will be send to transmission (at least that is the plan *grin*). Or would it be better to have a Save button instead of the Cancel button? I don't want to send every file-update as a single JSON request since that would be very ineffective and won't yield a very good performance. A Save button might be better if you have made a lot of changes and want to commit them to transmission before a phone call get's in the way and throws you out of Mobile Safari *grin*. There could be a warning dialog when you leave the screen via the back button without having saved the changes to avoid accidentally losing the updates.

Well... that is what there is to explain. Just give it a try and let me know your thoughts!

Regards, Frank
rb338

Re: Here it (almost) is: an iPhone specific Web UI

Post by rb338 »

Very nice work!

Some thoughts:
- When clicking a torrent, show file list first, instead of details
- I don't really like the priority icons. Maybe use green and red for high and low priority?
- What happens when a torrent has multiple trackers?
- I liked the category bar from the current iPhone interface better than the current separated lists. I like to see all my torrents in one list

Other than that: great! The best would be if it was a native iPhone app :)
bollywood

Post by bollywood »

this is great, looking forward to it being added to trunk.
fschaeckermann

Post by fschaeckermann »

Thanks for the encouragement! I will be on business in UK all of next week but I will try to get this finished anyway...
rb338 wrote: Some thoughts:
- When clicking a torrent, show file list first, instead of details
I guess you are right... most of the time one will want to look at the files since most of the other interesting information is already visible in the torrent list anyway.
rb338 wrote: - I don't really like the priority icons. Maybe use green and red for high and low priority?
You aren't alone with those thoughts about the priority icons... I am open to suggestions. The buttons are currently all together in a 4x4 grid in an image of 128x96 pixels. Changing the appearance of the buttons can easily be done by replacing that particular image.
rb338 wrote: - What happens when a torrent has multiple trackers?
They would just be listed in the according field one after the other since all the other information should always be the same no matter what tracker is active, right?
rb338 wrote: - I liked the category bar from the current iPhone interface better than the current separated lists. I like to see all my torrents in one list
Where is the difference? "All" from the current interface is equivalent to opening all groups at the same time. "Downloading" is the same as keeping all groups closed except for "Downloading", "Seeding" refers to "Seeding" and "Finished" and "Paused" in the current interface is the same as keeping all groups closed except "Paused". Since it is only a matter of which list entries are actually displayed, it wouldn't be a big problem to hide the group headers and find some other means of selecting which torrents to show...
rb338 wrote: Other than that: great! The best would be if it was a native iPhone app :)
[/quote]
Yeah... that will be my next endeavor. *grin* But that means running xcode tools under Mac OS X and so far all my computers have stubbornly refused to be hackintoshed... If you want to shell out the money and buy me a Mac I'll gladly do the work! *wink*

Regards, Frank
Seasoul

Post by Seasoul »

Hello,

My first post about transmission HAD to be for this :)
It really looks great Frank, thanks a lot for your work!

Any updates on how to use it if it's available for use now ?

As much as i'd like to buy you a Mac if we were living in a dreamworld :D , I'd be happy to help - mostly with tests, bug tracking and hand clapping as I have zero knowledge in coding what so ever.

Let me know,
Cheers