High download rate, but no progress

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
rfugger

High download rate, but no progress

Post by rfugger »

I am having problems with a particular torrent. When I start/resume the download, I get the kind of progress I would expect from the download rate that is being reported. The problem is, as the download progresses and speeds up towards 200 kB/s, the actual number of megabytes downloaded does not progress anywhere near what I would expect, ie, around 0.2 MB/s. After a few minutes, I am getting no progress at all, despite transmission reporting 200 kB/s. (I am using transmission 1.34 on ubuntu 8.10.)

I have checked the torrent for failed DL, and it is always low or none. The only strange thing on this torrent I have noted is that I am connected to many (around 100) peers who are all uploading to me at either 6.0 kB/s or 4.0 kB/s. The IP addresses are varied, as are the bittorrent clients for these peers. Is it possible that there is a swarm of machines somehow poisoning this torrent by uploading bogus data that the transmission software does not report as such, but also does not add to the overall download progress of the torrent?

Thanks.
Ryan
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: High download rate, but no progress

Post by livings124 »

The first thing to do is to update to 1.51.
rfugger

Post by rfugger »

Update: I'm actually getting this issue with all my torrents now, leading me to believe that it's an issue on my end, not some swarm of evil bots. All the peers I'm connected to seem to be encrypted, so I don't think it would be my ISP. I've rebooted and it's still occurring. This install of transmission was working fine until last night, and I haven't updated or changed anything since. Please help?
rfugger

Post by rfugger »

OK, I'm starting to suspect this is an ISP issue somehow. It seems to improve when I cap the download to a low rate. I still think the client shouldn't report a high rate unless there is actual progress towards completion. I will upgrade to 1.51 and check if the reporting is improved.
rfugger

Post by rfugger »

Well, the issues all seem to disappear in 1.51. Strange that 1.34 worked great until yesterday, but I guess that's the end of it. Thanks :)