Seeding question

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
crojack

Seeding question

Post by crojack »

Hello,
Can someone tell me why some torrents seed and some don't? I don't mean why there isn't anyone else asking for it, or any peers to connect to. I mean from a queue management point within transmission. Shouldn't the torrents with the most requests seed first? I have torrents that sit there in the seeding window with no peers asking for them, and I have torrents that I know people want, because it is newly posted, but Transmission won't queue it up to seed, just says "waiting to seed". This is when I am seeding lower than 15, even though I have max seeds at 15.
Seems like it used to do this automatically. I'm using 1.72
thanks!
crojack

Re: Seeding question

Post by crojack »

Is this so obvious that no one wants to help or?
I looked through the manual and the wiki but could not find an answer.
Is there a way to set that newly downloaded torrents should seed first or???
Debu

Post by Debu »

I've never understood how queue order works -- it's never worked properly for me. When I want something to start seeding, I just uncheck the maximum seed box under preferences-->transfers-->management tab - which causes all waiting seed torrents to start -- then impose the maximum again and manually re-start the ones that I want to put back into the queue as "waiting to seed".

I'm sure that's not the answer you were looking for, but there it is.

I'm on v. 1.54 running under Tiger, and I find that ALL "waiting to seed" torrents will activate once the number of active seeding torrents is less than the "maximum limit". I gave up trying to figure out "Why?", and just learned to live with it.
crojack

Post by crojack »

thanks!
I was wondering if there was rhyme or reason to it and I guess not.

If anyone else knows, that would be great.
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

Thanks, debu. But that's insane. How hard could it be to fix it so when you CREATE a torrent it SEEDS the torrent?

That option says "seeding with a maximum of X active transfers". I take it that is supposed to STOP seeding when there are tons of other peers. What is it actually supposed to do then?

I've been looking for ways to get transmission to stop slowing down my overall internet connection.

What settings are then appropriate so that:

1. torrents I create are prioritized
2. torrents i want to download are prioritized
3. its not sitting seeding to 0 peers on 100's of torrents
4. total global connections are limited

It would be absolutely friggin fabulous on top of that to be able to prioritize TRACKERS. on some trackers I've got a ridiculous ratio and they seem to always suck up all bandwidth connections, while on others my ratio is low. the latter is what should go first and stop the former!
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

What exactly is "waiting to seed" status vs "seeding". Such a basic question but I never understood. If someone snatches a torrent that is "waiting to seed" will Transmission move to "seeding" it?
darmok

Post by darmok »

crojack wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:38 pm Can someone tell me why some torrents seed and some don't?
Ah, Grasshopper. To know seeds is to know the wind!
I mean from a queue management point within transmission. Shouldn't the torrents with the most requests seed first?
For the most part, seeding is done by date. Not my fav scheme.
I have torrents that sit there in the seeding window with no peers asking for them, and I have torrents that I know people want, because it is newly posted, but Transmission won't queue it up to seed, just says "waiting to seed". This is when I am seeding lower than 15, even though I have max seeds at 15.
Open her up! Seed all you have to seed. iow, uncheck all three "Queues" items in preferences. Control things by specifying bandwidth.
I'm using 1.72
Wha? Transmission 4.0.4 is the current release.

HTH,
- Dan.
darmok

Post by darmok »

metaclam wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:03 pm I've been looking for ways to get transmission to stop slowing down my overall internet connection.
By design, all this stuff travels the 'net using TCP. That means you need to have enough open upload speed to accommodate all the ACK packets. If you don't, then both download and upload suffers.

I like to set the bandwidth to use only 80% of the upload speed. That keeps the spice flowing.
1. torrents I create are prioritized
2. torrents i want to download are prioritized
3. its not sitting seeding to 0 peers on 100's of torrents
4. total global connections are limited
If you open her up, uncheck all the Queue items, then things will run much smoother. fwiw, right now I've got a max of 256 and 16 per. If I go nuts adding torrents, I'll sometimes up the max to 512.
It would be absolutely friggin fabulous on top of that to be able to prioritize TRACKERS. on some trackers I've got a ridiculous ratio and they seem to always suck up all bandwidth connections, while on others my ratio is low. the latter is what should go first and stop the former!
hum. Interesting idea. Havta think about that for a bit.

- Dan.