Speed Limit - why?

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
redshift9

Speed Limit - why?

Post by redshift9 »

I understand how to use the speed limit settings, but why would I want to? Is it to keep Transmission from hogging bandwidth when I'm trying to do other things, or am I missing something obvious? Thanks.
Ryoujin

Re: Speed Limit - why?

Post by Ryoujin »

It's a one-button bandwidth capper, for both upload and download. Altho it can be done manually, it's not as easy as just clicking it once and you are all set, then clicking it again to get rid of the caps.
Debu

Post by Debu »

Is it to keep Transmission from hogging bandwidth when I'm trying to do other things. . .?
Yes. I use it when I want to download something while either seeding -- or while downloading a slow torrent.

For example, I find that further restricting my upload speed limit will help speed up downloads from sites like megaupload.
redshift9

Post by redshift9 »

Much appreciated. Thanks for your answers.
miknight

Post by miknight »

In some countries (e.g. Australia) where we have download limits, some ISPs have separate download limits for 'on-peak' usage and 'off-peak' usage. Speed limits are very useful in this situation.

For example, on a particular internet plan you might get 12GB to use during the on-peak times (maybe 12pm to 2am) and 60GB to use during off-peak times (2am to 12pm).

Scheduling Transmission to only download during the off-peak time prevents exceeding the 12G on-peak usage.
kfed1021

Post by kfed1021 »

This is very useful information. I was also wondering about the speed limit and was about to ask about that when I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks for the information.