Auto-Speed-Limit based on client presence (network)

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
wsavona

Auto-Speed-Limit based on client presence (network)

Post by wsavona »

REQUEST:

I would love Transmission to be able to watch for certain clients or a range of clients on my network and when present turn ON speed-limit mode; and of course turn off when the client(s) are not present.

for example: I have a mac mini running 24/7 as media center and for torrenting. If transmission then notices that one of the three laptops (or cell phones) has joined the network it will turn on speed limit mode to allow those clients to surf without the burden of very reduced bandwidth, and then later when the clients leave the network remove the speed limit.

ANYONE ELSE WANT THIS?
livings124
Transmission Developer

Re: Auto-Speed-Limit based on client presence (network)

Post by livings124 »

That seems way too obscure.
rb07

Post by rb07 »

Not obscure at all, its the definition of QoS (with bandwidth shaping), so its not really a feature for Transmission, and it could be done there but it belongs strictly to the router. To the OP: research QoS, I know DD-WRT already can do it, is just a case of configuration which I doubt many users can do right.
wsavona

Post by wsavona »

Wow, thanks for that really helpful info! When I got that first needlessly pessimistic reply (from a developer!) I figured I was out of luck.

I did some research and it seems to be a common feature in the higher end ($150+) models from d-link (dir-825) and linksys whether it be through some consumer friendly application labeling technics or full-on manually configured QoS.

So its a feature that's gonna cost me some buck (albeit most likely very well worth it).
rb07

Post by rb07 »

You don't really need an expensive router, like I said DD-WRT has it (it a replacement firmware for many routers), I have it on a cheap (about 25 US$) Motorola (not longer made). Other firmwares also include it, since most inexpensive routers are running Linux is not so unusual to get big features like this one.