Auto-start on Idle

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Nimbuz

Auto-start on Idle

Post by Nimbuz »

Hi,

I often forget to start the downloads or remove speed limit when I leave my desk. It'd be awesome an 'auto-start' functionality which detects internet/network activity and if idle, it auto-resumes the downloads?

Thanks
Benton

Re: Auto-start on Idle

Post by Benton »

That would be really neat. So when you start surfing (for example) it goes into speed limit mode - then it starts back up again at full speed when you're not using the network for anything else.

Something that might be useful as an extension of that, is a way to tie this in with router firmware, to check for bandwidth usage on the entire local network, and adjust for that.

+1!
zooto68

Post by zooto68 »

Seems like this feayrture request has been around for some time now. it would be easy to implement so why is it not included in the next update?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

zooto68 wrote:it would be easy to implement so why is it not included in the next update?
Since it's easy to implement, I look forward to seeing your patch on how to detect idle network activity in a portable way.
mezz

Post by mezz »

Benton wrote:That would be really neat. So when you start surfing (for example) it goes into speed limit mode - then it starts back up again at full speed when you're not using the network for anything else.

Something that might be useful as an extension of that, is a way to tie this in with router firmware, to check for bandwidth usage on the entire local network, and adjust for that.

+1!
I don't think it's application's job to do that. Get a good router (or firmware) with QOS support.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service
Benton

Post by Benton »

I'm using Tomato, quite nice firmware. Maxing out your upload slows down the web if you're on DSL, no matter how you configure QoS. At least in my experience.