Transmission 1.76 Released!

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
John Clay
Transmission Project

Transmission 1.76 Released!

Post by John Clay »

This version is available for download here.

All tickets closed by this release

All Platforms
  • Fix possible data loss when moving torrents to where they already are
  • Fix minor protocol error that didn't send a port message to some peers
  • Fix manpage errors
Mac
  • Fix a potential crasher on Snow Leopard
  • When creating a torrent with multiple trackers, place each tracker into its own tier
  • Fix display glitch when changing sort to "Queue Order"
Daemon
  • Fix possible data loss when using "transmission-remote --find"
  • Fix ratio-limit bug on some uClibc systems
  • Fix invalid JSON "nan" error on optware
GTK+
  • Fix crash in the Preferences dialog when testing to see if the port is open
  • Fix crash on exit when a torrent's Properties dialog is open
  • Fix broken SIGINT (ctrl-c) handling
  • Fix tray menu's main window status when Transmission is started minimized
  • Fix 1.61 build failure on systems with new versions of glib but older versions of gtk
  • Fix tracker address display error in the torrent Properties dialog
Qt
  • Fix crash when removing expired torrents from the display
  • Fix client from closing, rather than closing to the system tray, when clicking X
  • Cannot open a torrent in KDE4 with right-clicking
sujay

Re: Transmission 1.76 Released!

Post by sujay »

Edit: Never mind. Seems to be okay.
Last edited by sujay on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
overlook

Post by overlook »

quicklook don't work.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

overlook wrote:quicklook don't work.
Sure it's not the luck-of-the-draw?
overlook wrote:quicklook don't work.
Quick Look will return in 1.80 for 10.6 users.
alejito

Post by alejito »

So far, the "session transfer" bugs as well as crash-on-exit seem fixed on my end (Snow Leopard user).

Looking good!
funkahdafi

Post by funkahdafi »

Crashing my SL 10.6.1 machine about every 10 minutes with a hard kernel panic.

Back to 1.75. Fail, I guess.
ThisIsDylan

Post by ThisIsDylan »

Snow Leopard 10.6.1: After a few minutes of use, it starts taking up a TON (2 GB) of active memory, and stops responding. This causes lots of other apps and Finder to stop responding, and I have to hold down the power key to shut it off.
funkahdafi wrote:Back to 1.75. Fail, I guess.
I would like to do this too… But the previous releases are .bz2 and .xz. Source code stuff. Where can I find a nice zip of 1.75?
tkbalt

Post by tkbalt »

Ever since updating to 1.76 (I'm still on Mac OS 10.5.8, btw) Transmission has been crashing so hard that I can't even force quit it and I have to restart my entire computer using the power button, because I can't even do a regular restart/shutdown. Often the first signs are that my transfers seem to freeze, and my network connection for other apps also seems to get interrupted. A couple times I've seen my connection to my wireless network actually get interrupted, but that might be a fluke.

I tried downgrading to 1.75, but I'm still having problems. Sometimes if I catch it early enough, I can quit Transmission, restart some of my other apps that use network connectivity, and get things back to normal. However, if I don't catch it, I'm still doing a hard shut down with the power button and then starting back up... can't even force quit the thing.

Really sad, and hoping someone can help. I've never had problems like this before, and clearly it's making Transmission completely unusable for me....
ieleja

Post by ieleja »

high cpu load fixed! :D

from 20% to 1% with same torrents
alejito

Post by alejito »

alejito wrote:So far, the "session transfer" bugs as well as crash-on-exit seem fixed on my end (Snow Leopard user).

Looking good!
Nevermind, session transfer amount is still retarded.
smith4925

Post by smith4925 »

I am still getting snow leopard crashing caused by Transmission. :( Boooooo
AGSystem

Post by AGSystem »

Similar problem to what others are saying about the trackers not connecting, random crashing and the likes.

Only started happening over the last week. This was happening with 1.76 and 1.75+ nightly's

Its a shame because ive had to pull back to using uTorrent to finish these downloads that i was almost done with (mind you on rechecking the files uTorrent lost 1/3 of the downloaded data but i think thats another issue completely).

Heres hoping that this issue can be fixed because using uTorrent is killing me.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

What issues? If you have crashing, post a crash log. Trackers not connecting is the luck of the draw and people blaming the software. Every single release we have a handful of users say they can't connect or crash or whatever - that's what happens when you release software that's highly dependent on third-party tracker systems and having a good network setup.
AGSystem

Post by AGSystem »

Ok ill put it this way for you.

The crashing happens when the system locks up completely when trying to close Transmission. It is not possible to get a crash log because, usually we have to reset the whole system before one can be generated. i left my system (13"macbook pro - 10.6.1) for 20 mins while i waited for the crash to sort itself out but to no avail. Ended up rebooting the Mac via power switch.

As for trackers i understand what you are saying about the fact that 3rd party trackers can be a bitch and vary on their quality and this is not your issue, but when these same trackers are tested by installing Vuze and uTorrent and they connect perfectly fine, and Transmission does not connect at all this usually leads the users to think that it may be a "software issue".

Im not having a go at the developers here im just saying that we are just trying to let you guys know that we are seeing said issues and that they may be something to have a look at.

A polite confirmation of "what issues are you seeing exactly" and "can you tell us what OS, Hardware, Version of Transmission you are running" may be something that is a lot more productive as this way you can start to see patterns happening if say all Late 2008 Unibody macbooks running 10.5.8 all show issue X.

Maybe look at setting up a crash report template such as:

Problem: <Short Description Only>
System PC/MAC: <e.g. LATE 2009 Mac Pro>
OS Version: <e.g. 10.6.0>
Transmission Version: <e.g. nightly build 9999>
Detailed Explanation: <As much detail as you feel to be relevant>
Have you been able to replicate this problem?: <yes or no>
How?: <show us exactly how you replicated the said problem>
Crash Report: <has it been attached?>

This will mean that there is a standard that people can follow and also help us others that are not developers to follow the issue and come with either more information or a work around for you. Its also easier to follow than the "how to report a bug" READ ME.
asgard

Post by asgard »

How to I compile a static build for this version? I can't figure out what switches to use and setting the LDFLAGS is no use. I'm cross-compiling this for my NAS and seem like this version masked out the normal standard output during compilation. Any help is greatly appreciated.