No torrent files in daemon .config/.../torrents directory

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
glennpow

No torrent files in daemon .config/.../torrents directory

Post by glennpow »

I'm having some trouble with my transmission-daemon, and I think it has to do with the fact that I recently set it up to run as "guest" user (which is my public user on the media server).
I copied the .config folder from /root to the guest user's home directory, and I modified the startup script to use that new .config folder. However, now there are several problems:

* I'm not seeing any .torrent files in the .config/transmission-daemon/torrents folder. Or the .../resume folder either. I thought they might still be in the /root subdir, but those are all empty too. The torrents do start running, and I can download the data, but I never see the original .torrent files anywhere. Which brings me to my second problem...

* Rather often my daemon becomes unresponsive. I must go in and restart it by hand, but the problem is that all the .torrent files are gone, so anything that I was downloading will need to be re-added by hand. This is extremely frustrating.

* A final issue is that I can't figure out how to set up the startup script to run AS the "guest" user. Right now if I restart the machine, I need to ssh in and start the daemon as "guest" by hand. I suppose that's more of a Linux forum question, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm running the 1.72 transmission build on the WD My Book World Edition (White light).
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
rb07

Re: No torrent files in daemon .config/.../torrents directory

Post by rb07 »

Your first problem is permissions; you copied the config directory as root and didn't change ownership... assuming you have bash, the user and the group is guest (I use nobody:nogroup), as root try something like this:

Code: Select all

chown -R guest:guest ~guest/.transmission
To use of user "guest" to run the daemon you have to modify the start script, I don't know how your init.d script looks like (or how it is named) since there is no standard, but if it uses start-stop-daemon then you can do it like this:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet \
--chuid guest \
--exec transmission-daemon -- ${OPTIONS}
If you don't use start-stop-daemon then instead do something like this:

su guest -c "transmission-daemon ${OPTIONS}"
Check the details since all this was just a rough draft, not the exact code.