fragmentation

Ask for help and report issues not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Brodi

fragmentation

Post by Brodi »

Welcome
I noticed that transmission 1.75 and 1.76 is hammering my hard drive. Is this my fault or its a bug? Does he had some read/write buffer for hard disk operations ?
First. Durig downloadig with about 300 KBps hard drive is very busy, its not the hardware because its dual core with 2 GB ram and system load is low. The filesystem is reiserfs ( at this moment i cant change it to xfs or ext3 ).
Second thing when downloading is finished, when i copy the file for example small pictures or 4 GB mandriva iso to another har drive its very slow about 1 - 2,5 MBps. Hard drive is ok because another iso downloaded in azureus on this same hard drive is copying normal - 10-30 MBps. First conclusin transmission is causig heavy file fragmentation.
This is not the only case. Its happens with all files downloaded with transmission.

Slackware 13
e4300 on intel g31
2 GB ddr2
wd 3200 YS
Rolcol

Re: fragmentation

Post by Rolcol »

Transmission has a "preallocation" setting that tells it how to allocate the files. It's only a setting from settings.json. You'll have to close Transmission, change the settings.json file, and then restart Transmission.

http://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Edi ... s#Advanced:

Code: Select all

preallocation: Number (0 = Off, 1 = Fast, 2 = Full (slower but reduces disk fragmentation), default = 1)
I use Ext4 with preallocation option 2 since Ext4 does not need to write zeros to create the file to preallocate.