Effect of prioritizing

Discussion of Transmission that doesn't fit in the other categories
burgundieer

Effect of prioritizing

Post by burgundieer »

Is there a negative effect on overall download time when using prioritizing, when the seeder / leecher ratio is low?

I.e. does the client primarily request chunks of data, that only seeders and few leechers have, thus downloading the few chunks it can find from the poor saturated seeders and the few leechers that happen to have them - while it could find leechers with higher speed upload and download random chunks that I haven't prioritized high or even low?

How does Transmission handle prioritizing?

I guess, if I have open connection limit of 50 and only 10 or so I'm able to use to connect to high priority chunks and the rest 40 is used for low priority ones (that can gain better speed), then it's could be all right. I'm here assuming, that the total download speed almost all the time less than my full bandwidth.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Effect of prioritizing

Post by Jordan »

I don't think there would be a negative effect on overall download time when prioritizing. Prioritization in 1.80 is more about deciding which connected peers get a shot at using up the available bandwidth, not about block request schemes.