Please: Delete individual files

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
AtariBaby

Please: Delete individual files

Post by AtariBaby »

Hi

I love this app, but it's missing something key for people like me battling low hard drive space: the ability to delete individual files. I appreciate that you have the ability to add individual files, but I often download large bittorrent collections, like multiple episodes of a TV show. I need to delete a few before I can add a few. Currently one has to stop the file, manually delete, uncheck the files you don't want re-downloaded, and do a file check.

Please consider adding this feature. To my knowledge it is present in every other bittorrent application out there.

And regardless, thanks for Transmission.
Sum Yung Guy

Re: Please: Delete individual files

Post by Sum Yung Guy »

Hi -

I'd like to second this request. I'd like to suggest that you add a "Delete" or "Send to Trash" item to the context (right-click) menu, below the "Priority" item, in the file list in the inspector.

I'm trying to switch to transmission from vuze, but I really miss this feature when I'm trying to free up disk space.
in vuze, you can set a file's priority within a download to "delete". the file will be erased, and vuze will reflect this status. in transmission though, this situation is very awkward to deal with.

first, you have to locate the file in the OS (eg. Finder on mac) and trash it manually.

if a file is already completely downloaded, you can't uncheck it. so even if you manually trash the file from the OS, you can't empty the trash, because it says the file is still in use - transmission is seeding from it.

if the file is only partially downloaded, you can uncheck it. but transmission still thinks it has the data, until you do a "verify local data". on large torrents (exactly the ones where you're most likely to want to delete individual files), this can take forever. if you don't do it, the file list gets very confusing, the numbers for amounts downloaded are all wrong, and you see all these files that don't actually exist.

I hope it wouldn't be too much trouble to add this feature, it would be extremely useful! Thanks...
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

I sort of solved this problem. I put a bigger hard drive in my macbook pro XD

I hope that the developers will add this feature. I'd love to dump bloaty vuze and return to this elegant app but not until this feature is added.
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

Just checking in. Has the feature to delete individual files been implemented?
Moe

Post by Moe »

You can't be bothered to try it and find out?
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

WTF kind of response is that? I am trying to find out, genius of the internetz.

I installed Transmission a year ago. I loved it until I discovered this one feature common to all other popular bittorrent apps is missing.

The feature didn't exist. Instead, you have to go through a tedious number of steps to delete an individual file from a multi-file torrent.

I posted a request to have this feature implemented and am inquiring about it 10 months later, having been unable to find any news on it after searching the site.

I think you've definitely made a mistake about your life. "Support" is not your calling. You'd be much more suited to a job that fits your personality, like writing parking tickets, for example.
Moe

Post by Moe »

AtariBaby wrote:WTF kind of response is that? I am trying to find out, genius of the internetz.
Learn to read. I said "try it and find out" not "try to find out."
AtariBaby wrote:I think you've definitely made a mistake about your life. "Support" is not your calling. You'd be much more suited to a job that fits your personality, like writing parking tickets, for example.
That's what I used to do but I got fired for doing evil laughs when handing out the tickets. Now I do phone support for Dell.

I can't find this feature in the Mac version or the web client. I don't think it's anywhere else either but I'm not sure.
Last edited by Moe on Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

I think it's best if I just ignore the previous poster from now on.

Is there anyone else here who can confirm or deny that this feature has been implemented, or better yet can one of the developers respond and say if it's slated to be implemented at some point? It's a feature of Vuze, uTorrent, and most bittorrent clients and it exists for a good reason, because huge multi-file torrents take up a ton of hard drive space.
Moe

Post by Moe »

I already answered you, but if that's not good enough maybe you should run transmission for yourself and find out? That way you won't have to ask again in another two weeks.
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

Thanks x190.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

There's a new ticket for this: https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3865
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

Wow! They made a patch!! Thanks Jordan, et al. Totally worth suffering a failed forum troll. I'll post updates once I can try it out. Will also update other threads/users who have requested this feature after a little testing. Will also hit the donate button later!
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

Looks like this feature still hasn't been incorporated. :(
AtariBaby

Post by AtariBaby »

Any word on this feature?

Also wondering if anyone has talked to Moe lately, after his painful nervous breakdown in the forums related to his mother-son incest issues. Godspeed, Moe.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

x190 wrote:If management has an archived copy of #3865, could we, perchance, have this ticket re-instated?
Occasionally something in a ticket violates the site's TOS and it gets deleted. According to an upthread post, the ticket was deleted over four months ago -- that was a long time ago and I don't remember now what the problem was. Regardless, it wasn't archived.

The feature request is valid though. Someone should resubmit it to trac.