Transmission 1.92+ (10535) Won't Daemonize

Discussion of the Web Interface for Transmission, formerly known as Clutch. This applies to all version of Transmission
TheBigYahi

Transmission 1.92+ (10535) Won't Daemonize

Post by TheBigYahi »

I've been keeping pretty up to date with the Nightlies and started having trouble with the daemon shutting down randomly starting about Saturday 4/24. Today I was running 10533 and was experiencing the problem that was fixed in 10534. Ever since that update, trying to start the daemon from the init.d script (from the wiki) doesn't work. However, if I open up a new screen session, I can get the daemon running manually. I'm running this on a ARM based Sheevaplug running Debian Squeeze with kernel 2.6.33.3.
TheBigYahi

Re: Transmission 1.92+ (10535) Won't Daemonize

Post by TheBigYahi »

I solved my own problem and thought I'd share if anyone cares. I decided to try to manually start the daemon without the "--background" switch to see if any error messages were popping up that I wasn't seeing though other methods. So I ran:

Code: Select all

start-stop-daemon --chuid "transmission" --start --pidfile /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid --make-pidfile --exec /usr/local/bin/transmission-daemon -- -f -g /root/.config/transmission-daemon
I got back a permissions error referring back to my config file. Going to check, all of the permissions had somehow changed to "root" instead of "transmission". A simple chown command later, everything was fixed. Sure would like to know what changed my permissions.....