Combine all UI elements into one window

Feature requests for the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Dotcommer1

Combine all UI elements into one window

Post by Dotcommer1 »

I don't know if its just me, or if others feel the same way, but it bothers me (slightly) that the info pane is a separate window from the download que window. Why not combine them both so there aren't miscellaneous windows to keep track of?

Perhaps have a kind of split window horizontally and/or vertically with active transfers in one area of the window, and panels or mac-like slide-out drawer to reveal all the details from the info pane.

I tried searching for other posts that might have covered this already and couldn't find one, so I posted this here. If this has already been brought up, let me know. Thanks.
Jethryn Freyman

Re: Combine all UI elements into one window

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

I think the idea of the Inspector window being replaced by a drawer was brought up a while ago, it was decided that it would look too cluttered.
jah

Post by jah »

never going to happen
kevindosi

Post by kevindosi »

jah wrote:never going to happen

:( why not? the alpha version of utorrent does a beautiful job of incorporating a retractable info window within the main window, and it looks a lot better. plus, if it's too cluttered then you can just hide it when you're not using it.

utorrent is so similar to transmission, i think the interface differences (like the info pane) will make the difference.
jah

Post by jah »

whether it looks better is a matter of opinion.

IMO the inspector based approach has served T well over the years, and frankly I see no compelling reason to abandon it. That said, it isn't my decision, but i'm fairly certain the livings (the mac dev) shares a similar viewpoint to mine.
devburke

Post by devburke »

A drawer actually does sound pretty nice to me, if it's done cleanly, like I the info pane in iCal on Tiger (I believe...I'm on Leopard now so I could be remembering wrong). It would be hidden away when unwanted and wouldn't ruin the minimalist interface, but if you wanted it out there you could get it. Having the separate Inspector pane has never bothered me that much, but it is kinda annoying when I want to just check on the status of an individual file within a torrent and I can't do so by Exposé (since the Inspector pane disappears for Exposé)
Robby

Post by Robby »

No drawer, thanks. I wouldn't mind a one-window solution but without using a drawer, puhleese.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

I can tell you this will never happen.
CPL593H

Post by CPL593H »

Robby wrote:No drawer, thanks. I wouldn't mind a one-window solution but without using a drawer, puhleese.
I agree !

I would love to see a one-windows solution too, but without an super-annoying Drawer. Even Apple don't use them anymore! Having everything from the inspector in the bottom of the window (like µTorrent) or on the right (like the web interface) would be great! I personally hate inspector's palette window that is never at the same place and contributes to the entropy of the interface ;)

EDIT: And having at least an alt-click on the green button to actually do maximize de the window would also be a nice touch. But don't get me wrong, I'm not coming from the Windows' world and I've been using a Mac since 1989. I just like the One-Window approach and a real maximize feature ;)
Last edited by CPL593H on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.